Re: Bug: area selection changes with Smart Histogram measurement

Post by admin »

Phew... mystery solved!

cheers,

Robin
neverfox

Post by neverfox »

I did my first run of the new version and it seems much better behaved now. However, I'm seeing something else that's a mystery to me. When I have min exposure at 5s, the Brain recommends 5s for my setup for L filter. However, if I raise that to 15s, the recommendation moves to over 20s. If I move it to 30s, the recommendation jumps to over 90s. I would think that if 5s is optimal with a 5s min, then it would be 15s with a 15s min and 30s with a 30s min, basically trying to stay as close to 5s as allowed. Why would it jump to a completely different level of recommendation like that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

a good question!

If you can tell me the sky background value you got, the camera you are using and the colour space/mode option you are using then I will try to work out the reason.

Robin
neverfox

Post by neverfox »

I would but my version upgraded to 4.0.7596 and now I'm getting something else: an endless loop of trying values. For example, it tries ~15s, then ~25s, then ~60, ~90, then back to ~15 and on and on. I've never seen it not just get larger until it made a determination.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

could you send me the log (captured after this happens) please? There is a bit of code that can reduce the exposure if the value is too bright, but that shouldn't happen after an increase as the increase amount is supposed to be calculated just right to prevent it.

Is it possible that you are using a QHY camera in live mode? There have been some issues with those cameras where the changes to exposure only show up 2 or 3 frames later, so I could imagine that it might increase the exposure trying to get a brighter image a few times and then suddenly get a big increase.

cheers,

Robin
neverfox

Post by neverfox »

I'll try tonight. I'm using an ZWO ASI294MM Pro in 11MP mode.