Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Jm1973

Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Post by Jm1973 »

I am using the 3.3 Beta. I have a Nikon D3300 and am using the ASCOM driver for DSLR.

When I select the camera usually nothing happens for a while, then I get a message saying the software is not responding and do i want to wait.

If I wait it ill usually do nothing again for a while and ask the same question. Sometimes it will crash.

If I do this 4 or 5 times, it will generally connect. Then I try polar alignment tool, which works.

However, after about 5 minutes the software will crash again and I have to start again.

I can get it done, but sometimes i can be trying for an hour or more before it will work long enough for me to polar align.

I am using windows 10. Is anyone else having similar issues with this driver?
MrRemusSpud

Re: Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Post by MrRemusSpud »

I am having this issue too!

I am trying to connect a Nikon D3300 to sharpcap. I have had some minor success, simular to what you are describing with my laptop, but absolutley no luck with my PC which is a much stronger machine.

Both windows 10

I have ascom drives + the DSLR pack installed. Ive tried using Nikon protocols and the Nikon Legacy ones.

Worth noting that i cant even get it to connect with the acsome diag tool either. I can on my laptop, not on my pc.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems using ASCOM driver for DSLR

Post by admin »

Hi,

please can you try using the SharpCap 4.0 beta - this has a still mode which works much better with DSLR cameras - basically it only takes images on request instead of all the time. To enable 'Still Mode', unselect the 'Live View' option in the toolbar (just below the file menu) before opening the camera.

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/4-0-beta

If you still have issues in still mode, particularly with the camera taking a long time to connect, it may be worth reporting them to the ASCOM.DSLR team - although I can look at any SharpCap log that you have, I don't have any Nikon cameras, so have only tested this myself with Canon.

cheers,

Robin