Using keyboard for mount steering, movement does not stop

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Menno555

Using keyboard for mount steering, movement does not stop

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

Great job on the choice of being able to reverse the mount (Ioptron CEM25EC) steering, works great!

Also did try the steering through the keyboard with CTRL - Num2/4/6/8. That is partly working. When pressed the movement starts but it does not stop when the key combo is released. Have to use the on-screen Stop then to stop.
This works different when the on-screen steering is used: there the movement stops when the mouse button is released.
The Ioptron software itself has the option to either keep on moving when a button is pressed or to stop moving when the button is released. That last one is selected by me.
Somehow this is not detected by SC when keyboard steering is used.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using keyboard for mount steering, movement does not stop

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I see the problem – if you release the CTRL key first then the release of the direction key isn't handled correctly. If you keep holding the CTRL key down all the while that you are moving the direction and then lift the direction key first before releasing the CTRL key then everything works fine.

I'll fix that one :-)

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

That didn't happen here. By habit I always release the non-function key first. So I did just as you described it (release direction key while the CTRL is still down) but the movement continued.
There also was a delay of some kind: when a key combo was pressed, it took around 1 or 2 seconds before any mount movement. With the on-screen steering this is almost right away.
But all in all very cool already that you did build this in :D

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

okay, in that case I will have to think carefully again – I have tweaked the code for the new update so do test that if you get a chance just in case I happened to hit upon the problem anyway.

Cheers,
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Something I noticed last night: for me the keyboard steering acts like a double click on the onscreen steering in SC. Could it be a repeat from an earlier bug (somewhere last year), there were a keyboard stroke was set to a too short repeat time?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think that should be okay – SharpCap is monitoring the key down and key up events, so it should only see one of each when you press and then release a key.

Note that I use the IJKL key combination for testing as my keyboard doesn't have a number pad - worth trying those to see if there is a difference between the two sets of keys.

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

Did test it with latest beta and it is kinda working like you described: the mount stops when first the direction button is released and then CTRL. But it starts to move again after that if the CTRL key is pressed to long ... or something like that, I can't figure it out yet.
The IJKL keys have the same behavior.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the only other thing I can think of to check is if the mount is going back to the right tracking mode after the movement is complete. I had all sorts of trouble with this because different Ascom mounts require different sequences of commands to go back into tracking mode after you have moved the axis, but I thought I had it sorted now.

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

Did finally some more testing with latest Beta and it's still the same. Onscreen buttons work fine, the keyboard combination not: the movement does not stop after letting go of the keyboard button.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

sorry to hear that it's still not working – I will have to add some extra logging for the next version so that I can track down where it's going wrong.

Cheers, Robin