A brief introduction to the SharpCap Sequencer

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Ddaniel84

Re: A brief introduction to the SharpCap Sequencer

Post by Ddaniel84 »

Hi Robin, I had some issue activating log.
So I do again all of the test this night.
First, I see that the line of comment on the console was cutted : SC ask for a mount operational (mounted, and aligned). The problem is that the right part of this message is hidden, and not accessible. You have to correct that.
What I do is to run again the sequence (of the following of the sequence) when an error occur.
All camera management works fine.
Astrometry is OK
Now I know that I have to initialise the mount (connect, unpark, first align) Question: why is there a "MOUNT" directive?- When finished,SC parks it, but no disconnect (idem: why a "disconnect" directive?)
SC don't manage PHD2.. or I don't understand how to do. PHD2 is not affected by SC directives.

I join log file, sequence file, and console log file.. but all of them don't exactly correspond to same actions.. sorry

Hope tht will hel you

Dominique
Attachments
SC 23mar Sequence 2.txt
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Log_2021-03-23T20_05_29-7700.zip
(455.83 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
SharpCap DOD sans flip.scs
(875 Bytes) Downloaded 73 times
From France (84)
Skyvision T250 Newton on CGX with PrimaLuce Sesto Senso motor focus - ZWO motor filter wheel
C8 XLT Evolution with Celestron Motor Focus
ZWO ASI 2600 MC pro - ZWO ASI 224 MCS
CPWI -PHD2 - Sharpcap - Siril - Stellarium - NINA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so from the large log file that you attached I think that the problem is that SharpCap doesn't find a best focus position in the range given. In order to find the best focus position, SharpCap needs a number of criteria to be satisfied –

1) there must be a distinct minimum in the FWHM measurement within the range of focuser positions that are scanned
2) the minimum can't be too near to either end of the range – in practice there must be at least two or three measurement points beyond the minimum in each direction for SharpCap to be sure that it's really found a good minimum
3) the best fit curve that SharpCap calculates against the measurement data must explain at least 50% of the variance in the measurements.

When all of these criteria are satisfied, SharpCap will draw a best fit curve over the graph area – if this curve doesn't appear then that means that SharpCap hasn't found a convincing point of best focus. My experience has been that if you don't make a large enough allowance for backlash then you can end up with the problem because the focus measurements all end up being made with the focuser working through the backlash and therefore there is no strong signal in the data.

I worked out my approximate backlash amount by running manual focus scans in opposite directions (inwards and outwards) and noting the difference in best focus position between the two scans.

Can you send a screenshot of the cut-off line of console output so that I can see the problem?

Cheers, Robin
Ddaniel84

Post by Ddaniel84 »

Hi Robin
are not the files attached in my previous answer sufficient?
I have a problem also in the programming of the sequencer, and just missed 2 exoplanet transit. For a few hours, I want to take one minute photos spaced with 60 sec. I don't want to use the livestacking command, because then I no longer have access to the view controls (Direct vue allows this, but does not allow one minute spacing between views).
I certainly looked bad, but you are very good advice.

Finally, the ASPS library takes up a lot of space and I would like to move it to another disk, but I haven't figured out how to declare the new location. Do you know?

Best, Dominique
From France (84)
Skyvision T250 Newton on CGX with PrimaLuce Sesto Senso motor focus - ZWO motor filter wheel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm afraid I've lost track of the sequencer problem that you are struggling with - too many messages with too many things to think about I'm afraid. Please can you re-state the issue for me!

For ASPS, look for the file 'backend.cfg' inside the install directory. This can be used to change the location of the index files (look for the 'add_path' keyword). If you put it on another drive, try using '/cygdrive/d/path_on_drive_d' (although I have not tried this myself).

Robin
Ddaniel84

Post by Ddaniel84 »

Of course Robin, I understand. Will V4.0 be finalized soon? Thanks for ASPS information. I am very happy with it. My subject is therefore the sequencer, but I have another question: I am going to use another PC from tomorrow .. how do I transfer the pro license I have acquired?
Regarding the sequencer, I did a lot of tests.

First series with the sequencer (by 'edit' function).
I won't go into detail, but very often the folder is created, but the image file is not saved. But sometimes it is ... I don't understand the logic of creating "lights" folders. I understand that to save the images you have to go through livestack by specifying "save". It doesn't always work.
1. I add an "exposure time = 60s" follow by a "LIVE STACK for 5 frames saved as ...". SC got 5 "1 seconds frames" - see attachment
2. I ended up with a "park the mount" command: CPWI park the mount well, but without having made a goto home .. it must be an error on my part. See attachment
3. Last, guidance is not suspended before astrometry. The mount moves and therefore causes a guiding error. This is a general problem ith this version: communication with PHD2 does'nt work. PHD2 is not affected by SC guidance commands

Second series: using "deep sky" in "start capture". It corresponds much more to my needs (for example to take 200 photos of 1 minute spaced 1 minute apart). But there is no WAIT parameter - it really should be added! The consequence is that I have to take 400 photos where 200 only are required.
Last, when I started the sequence, SC crashed. I am sending you the traces.

Good luck!

Cheers, Dominique
Attachments
SC crash.png
SC crash.png (72.4 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
SC console log last test deep sky.txt
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
From France (84)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ok, first the license transfer - if you still have the email with the license code in then you are all set - just use that code again. If you have mislaid that email then you can get it re-sent to you here : https://store.astrosharp.co.uk/Recovery

I am to complete V4.0 sometime in late April or May - currently I am really concentrating on bug fixing, so all reports are very useful.

Looking at the log you have reported from the live stacking, I see this

Code: Select all

21:49:38 Starting  : Live Stack for 5 frames then save as FITSRawStack32Bit
21:53:50 Completed : Live Stack for 5 frames then save as FITSRawStack32Bit
That means that the time spent live stacking was more than 4 minutes, which is what I would expect for 60s exposures working correctly in 'Live View' mode. If the exposures were 1s then I would have expected that stage to finish quickly in just a few seconds.

In the case of parking the mount, I think that what you are getting at the moment is all that is possibly - ASCOM gives SharpCap functionality to request 'Park' and 'Unpark', but no options to say just how they should work, so when SharpCap sends 'Park', CPWI does whatever it thinks is appropriate. There may be options inside the CPWI driver for this...

Suspending guiding while the astrometry re-center happens is a good idea - I hadn't thought of that and will put it on the todo list.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow the request about a 'wait' parameter - can you explain further?

Finally the crash - please send the sequence file that causes the problem and I will investigate.

thanks,

Robin
Ddaniel84

Post by Ddaniel84 »

Hi Robin
a quick answer for the wait parameter only. I will look at other points tomorrow.
Sorry first for my english.. I know I have to progress..
My objective with deep sky sequencer is to take 60 sec pictures every 120 sec: <60sec capture><wait 60sec> <60sec capture><wait 60sec>..
The reason is that I take pictures of exoplanet transit. The duration can be 4 hours, may be 5 or 6, That represent a large amount of files. It can be reduced by 2 if the "wait" is introduced in sequence definition. One measure each 2 min is enought for data transit calculation.
What I suggest is to replace "override exposure" in 2 fields: "override exposure" "wait interval""

Best, Dominique
SC deep sky sequencer.png
SC deep sky sequencer.png (40.37 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
From France (84)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the explanation - makes sense now.

I think that adding that functionality to the planner would make it more complicated for 99% of users who would see options that they didn't really understand. There are two ways you could build what you want without needing changes to the sequence planner

1) Create the outline of your plan in the sequence planner and then press the 'Advanced Edit' button to transfer it into full sequence editing mode - then add a delay step in the right place.

2) Set the 'Frame Rate Limit' control to '1 every 2 minutes' in the camera controls and save this into a capture profile that you either load or set as default. This should work even in still mode capturing - ie if you set exposure to 60s then you will only get one frame every 2 minutes.

Robin
Ddaniel84

Post by Ddaniel84 »

Thanks Robin
I don't want to monopolize your time..
If you can say me where is the "frame raté limit" .. i s'endormir à lot of time to search it.. and Côme back to englush version because names are differents..
Best
Dominique
From France (84)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dominique,

this is what you are looking for
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.99 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Robin