Polar alignment at low latitudes

Features suggestions that are not currently planned for inclusion will be moved here. In general features moved here are very unlikely to be added to SharpCap, perhaps because other programs already have this functionality or that the functionality could be achieved using SharpCap scripting.
nm1213

Polar alignment at low latitudes

Post by nm1213 »

Hi - I've read that the polar alignment tool works to within 5 degrees of polaris. I'm not sure if it is possible to use this tool at low latitudes (1.3 degrees) given I can only dream of seeing Polaris.

Is there any way to expand the range to more than 5 degrees? Will this help at all?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar alignment at low latitudes

Post by admin »

Hi,

in SharpCap 3.1 the database of stars goes out to 7 degrees from the pole, but going any further than that requires me to re-write the plate solving code to deal with spherical geometry (approximating to cartesian co-ordinates isn't sufficient any more). Even if I made that change and included a bigger star database, the primary problem is that the accuracy drops the further your center of view is from the pole, so it probably wouldn't be very successful anyway.

sorry,

Robin