Need Sequence Lengh to be larger than 10,000

Feature suggestions that have already been implemented, or that have been added for the next version will be moved here.
cybermky

Need Sequence Lengh to be larger than 10,000

Post by cybermky »

I set up my all-sky (fish eye) lens during the eclipse. I had it taking a fits file every second. There's plenty of room to do that since each fits file is only 1 MB. Taking a file every second makes it 3600 shots an hour. I was setting this up in a location a little bit away from where I was, and was setting it up for the day to capture the sky during the Totality. i had tested capturing leading up to it but didn't realize the limit until I was setting it up for the eclipse. I couldn't enter in a number larger than 10,000, so basically couldn't just let it run for the day. When I set it up, it was 11:00 am and the totality was a 2:30.. so you can see 10,000 isn't quite enough, and wouldn't be long enough for the whole eclipse. I was taking shots off of a dock in SC and it was dramatic in that the sun was going in and out of the clouds and about 2 minutes before the totality the sun suddenly freed itself from the clouds and was clear of clouds the rest of the eclipse. i ended up coming back to the lens a couple times, but messed up an hour before the eclipse and because of the 10,000 limit, it stopped capturing at 2:30... the totality was at 2:37.
I missed the main part. :(
I can understand a limit, but 10,000 is way too small to do time lapse. I didn't realize the limit until setting it up for the totality. Maybe allow 100,000 or something else that would allow a longer time lapse, if their file capturing type isn't going to create large files, or a warning of some sort.

Just a friendly suggestion,

Andrea
admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Sequence Lengh to be larger than 10,000

Post by admin »

Hi Andrea,

I'm really sorry that this limitation in SharpCap messed up your eclipse imaging :( :oops:

I'd never imagined the sequence being that long - 10000 seemed to be a ridiculously big limit when I wrote that code.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the problem - I will increase the limit to 100000 and also increase the number of digits used in the file name to cope with this increase. I do hope that you at least enjoyed the visual views of the eclipse.

cheers,

Robin
cybermky

Re: Need Sequence Lengh to be larger than 10,000

Post by cybermky »

No worries! I could see that 10,000 sounded like a lot. The Totality was still pretty awesome and like I said, it was partially my fault. I did go back to the camera about an hour before the Totality and looked at the # of frames left and thought it said 7,000 something left and thought I had a good two hours. It was running smoothly! Just wasn't 7000, it must've been 3,000 something left and stopped as it was programmed. I guess I'll try it again in 2024. My friends and I are already talking about the next eclipse in the U.S.

thanks,

Andrea