File naming and saving when using filters

Feature suggestions that have already been implemented, or that have been added for the next version will be moved here.
astrnmr

File naming and saving when using filters

Post by astrnmr »

Could you add an option to autosave filter descriptions to livestack images that can be saved into a single folder? Currently if I save a livestack image and label it M51-R, it saves it in one folder. If I change it to M51-G it changes it to a different folder. I would like to save all the LRGB+NB files into a single folder with the filter name added.
robrj

Re: File naming and saving when using filters

Post by robrj »

You could probably edit the settings to do what you want but you would have to remember to change the settings for each object:
http://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/2.9/#Filenames%20Tab

Change the "Save Captured Files to:" line to reflect your current target.
e.g. C:\users\David\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\M31

Then uncheck "Organize captured files into subfolders"

That will put all your current files into the save directory above without splitting them up.

I don't have Sharpcap in front of me at the moment so I'm not sure if there is a blank or "None" option in the "Then by" pull down in the subfolder section. If there was, you could get all your shots for one particular date. But if you switch objects on the same night, it would mix them.
astrnmr

Post by astrnmr »

I understand that, however, when using livestack, it creates a folder automatically. If I want to use filters and type a filter name for the object, it creates a new folder. So I end up with M51L, M51R, M51G, and M51B as separate folders. I just need it to save all M51 data in a single auto created folder and append the filter used to the name when a filter is selected.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I already have a plan to make file naming much more flexible so that people will be able to tweak it to match their requirements (like this one). At the moment you can just choose from 3 or 4 different options for how the files/folders are arranged (and live stack breaks some of the rules for its own reasons anyway). In future you'll be able to specify exactly the layout you want using a filename template that might look a bit like this

Code: Select all

C:\images\{TargetName}\{Camera}\{Date}\{Time}\{TargetName}_{Filter}.{Extension}
You would get to type in the template and put the various substitution placeholders into it from an available list, and there would be separate templates for videos, sequences of stills and live stacks - this would be in an 'advanced' section of the filename settings.

cheers,

Robin
astrnmr

Post by astrnmr »

Excellent. Look forward to seeing it. For now I have figured a way to save all data under a folder without having it create sub folders for each filter label given.