Alternate stacking methods

Feature suggestions that have already been implemented, or that have been added for the next version will be moved here.
calan

Alternate stacking methods

Post by calan »

I know I've mentioned it once or 10 times in private, but figure I'd make an official request here...just for your records. :D

It would be nice to have some alternate stacking methods (for situations where processor speed and time between captures allows it), such as Sigma clipping, etc. I've had some nice stacks that have gotten zapped by a plane or satellite flying through, that those alternate clipping methods probably would have caught.
astrnmr

Re: Alternate stacking methods

Post by astrnmr »

I would like to see a Median Combine option or a Sigma Clip.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sigma clipping is written and will be in 3.1 :)

Median combine is actually not possible for live stacking - in order to calculate the median you need to basically have all the data for all previous frames available so that you can work out which value is in the middle of the ordered list of values for each pixel. That means that each frame would take longer than the last to stack (more work to calculate the median), but you'd run out of memory before that slowed you down too much :)

cheers,

Robin
astrnmr

Post by astrnmr »

Thanks for the information. Yes, don't want to slow down, but will be nice to see how Sigma Clip works.
calan

Post by calan »

Awesome