Sensor analysis Asi1600mc Pro

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor analysis Asi1600mc Pro

Post by admin »

Hi,

The components of the noise that the sensor analysis measures are not changed very much by different sensor temperatures, so it doesn't really matter whether you cool the camera or not, you should get very similar results.

Similarly the connection mechanism shouldn't matter as long as it's working robustly – once the data is off of the sensor it's in digital form, so you should either get perfect data transfer or none at all (providing whoever has written the transfer routines has put a little bit of error checking in).

Cheers, Robin
david_taurus83

Post by david_taurus83 »

Thanks Robin,

Appreciated.
Michaelk2423

Post by Michaelk2423 »

Robin stated that sensor analysis can be done with a filter in place. Just to clarify...even with Ha filter? Would it be better to do with luminance even though it will be the Ha being used or does it need to be done with the each filter that will be used. It just now occured to me that the smart histogram is maybe the place each filter is tested when it measures the sky background? Appreciate if someone could set me straight on this. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

You could certainly run the sensor analysis if you want to with the filter in place, including an H alpha filter although that would require rather bright illumination to get the required brightness levels with reasonable exposure lengths. Actually I wouldn't recommend using that filter with a colour camera for the sensor analysis as SharpCap measures the green pixels for sensor analysis which would hardly get any illumination with an H alpha filter in place!

You definitely need the filter in place when measuring the sky brightness – for instance if you use a light pollution filter, it will reduce the sky brightness as seen by the camera and therefore lead to a requirement for longer sub- exposures.

Hope this makes it clear, Robin
Michaelk2423

Post by Michaelk2423 »

Hi Robin, I should have stated that I'm using the 1600mm cool mono version(non-pro) and not the color and I also dont use any light pollution filters. So to clarify for mono narrowband.. will I get accurate results if i use no filter for sensor analysis and use the filter to be imaged with for measuring sky brightness? Thank you so much for your time!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, those choices will give you correct results. I just mentioned colour cameras because the title of the thread tension is the colour version of this camera.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi, I recently found sharpcap + your U-tube on subs exposure lenghts and I wanted to thankyou for sharing your expertise with me,I am very grateful and was more than happy to buy the Pro-version.

Just wondering if it might be useful to add a line or two to the instructions of sensor analysis. In the "how to run info" on its main screen detailing your advice about a/ temperature & b/filters??? I wondered & wondered about this till I found this thread- Cheers & best Wishes .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thank you – a good suggestion. I have made a note of it

Cheers, Robin