Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
Cybermystic

Re: Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

Post by Cybermystic »

Best explanation I've seen on this topic by far - thank you Robin.
This has been a major issue bugging me for the 17 years I've been imaging, and I don't believe the equations you have shown tell us the whole story (I could easily be wrong), but why doesn't the f# of the imaging system make any appearance as it is key to the number of signal photons arriving on the image plane in a given time? Is f# implied, or included some way in the equations? If it is I can't see where. Funnily enough I came to my own conclusions about the "best" sub-exposure length just a few days ago, and it was by a more experimental approach based on a large range of exposure lengths on systems with greatly differing f#. You can see my results here:
http://www.newforestobservatory.com/202 ... -on-speed/
If you can summon up the energy to give it a read-through I would be grateful for your comments :D
Greg
TimHaymes

Post by TimHaymes »

Im sure the theory is good, but you were using a different camera with different characteristics on the Hyperstar ! Surely this might improve image quality alone ? Yep im still learning...
Tim
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Very good point Tim!!
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cybermystic wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:00 pm Best explanation I've seen on this topic by far - thank you Robin.
This has been a major issue bugging me for the 17 years I've been imaging, and I don't believe the equations you have shown tell us the whole story (I could easily be wrong), but why doesn't the f# of the imaging system make any appearance as it is key to the number of signal photons arriving on the image plane in a given time? Is f# implied, or included some way in the equations? If it is I can't see where. Funnily enough I came to my own conclusions about the "best" sub-exposure length just a few days ago, and it was by a more experimental approach based on a large range of exposure lengths on systems with greatly differing f#. You can see my results here:
http://www.newforestobservatory.com/202 ... -on-speed/
If you can summon up the energy to give it a read-through I would be grateful for your comments :D
Greg
Hi Greg,

yep, your write up covers the ground around the f number in a way that I agree with - a 10 minute sub at f/2 will gather the same number of photons per pixel as a 50 minute one at f/4.5 (assuming the same pixel size used in both cases). Of course the 50 minute sub means your guiding/tracking needs to be a lot more robust and the consequences of a satellite/plane trail are worse in terms of data loss.

Now, where does the f number show up in my calculations? Well, it's kind of indirectly via the sky background brightness. Remember that's measured in photons per pixel per second? That's looking at the sky background from the point of view of the camera sensor (and SharpCap will happily make that measurement for you, or at least in e/pixel/second, which just wraps the QE of the sensor into the measurement). Coming at it from the other way, in a particular location your sky brightness is really measured in magnitudes per square arc second. This might be 21.5 for a nice dark site or as much as 18 or more for town/city light pollution.

The formula to calculate the light pollution in photons/pixel/second from the sky brightness is roughly as follows

[math]

Where

[math] is the focal ratio,
[math] is the pixel size in microns (assuming square pixels),
[math] is the sky background brightness in magnitude per arcsecond squared,
[math] is the bandwidth of the filter in use (or the bandwidth of the sensor sensitivity if no filter),
[math] is the wavelength of the mid point of the spectral range of the filter/sensor.

Now the important thing here is that the f ration appears on the bottom of the equation (squared, too), so going from f/4.5 to f/2 (and keeping everything else the same) leads to an increase in sky background photon rate of a factor of 5, and hence a reduction in the required sub-exposure length by the same factor of 5 by the equations at the beginning of the thread. Bigger pixels have the same effect, whereas smaller pixels or a slower f ratio has the opposite effect of requiring longer exposures.

cheers,

Robin
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Superb explanation Robin - thank you very much for taking the time.
Is there anywhere (without all the equations, a graph would be nice) an explanation of skyglow versus the biggest magnitude object you can image, or even better Bortle versus magnitude?? My Nemesis is the supernova remnant CTB1 in Cassiopeia. My sky is Bortle 4-5 and I can barely make out CTB1 - do the numbers say that's what's expected??
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

I don't have the full calculations in a form that are easy to post, but you can put all the bits together I think

1) http://tools.sharpcap.co.uk/ - this lets you work out the e/pixel/s rate for sky noise given your sky brightness (ie bortle) and equipment. You can also use it to work out the e/pixel/s rate for a target if you know the surface brightness of the target in mag/arcsec squared.

2) The SharpCap smart histogram will work out the detection threshold for spotting something (based on the signal level from the target rising above the noise caused by sky background) - see the Detection Threshold simulation here https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#The%20Results . In order for that to make sense, you need the sensor analysis run on your camera, to enter the sky brightness due to light pollution (either measured or calculated in (1) ) and enter the total stacking time into SharpCap's smart histogram setup. You can then compare the predicted detection threshold to the e/pix/s rate calculated for your target.

Hope this helps,

Robin
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Hi Robin,

That helps enormously - thank you very much indeed!!!!

Greg
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Hi Robin,

I will definitely be using smart histogram next outing to characterise my cameras and work out the best sub-exposure times. But as my next clear sky may be months away, I would like to put up two images for you to comment on, because I don't think they are explained by all the stuff above (as usual I could be wrong).
The first image is a deep one of the Pleiades taken with many 10-minute, 15-minute, and 20-minute subs. The total imaging time would be in excess of 15-hours. As you can see in the image, there is no sign of the Taurus molecular cloud.

In this second image I have added in just 6 x 1-hour subs, and the Taurus molecular cloud, although weak, is clearly visible.

These images were taken on Sky90 refractors with Starlight Xpress M26C OSC CCDs. Can you explain how the TMC only appears with the 1-hour long subs when dozens of 20-minute subs showed nothing??

Greg
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

I see the images aren't showing up, you can see them here:

http://www.newforestobservatory.com/202 ... elsewhere/

Greg
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Sorry Robin,

I have gone through all my old downloads and I don't think I've given the true story above. The deep image is definitely only 10, 15 and 20-minute subs. But the ultradeep image in addition to 6 x 1 hour subs is also something like 36 x 40-minute subs. But if you put the numbers through these optimal sub time calculators I'll get something well under 10-minutes (nearer to 5-minutes), so going to exposure lengths much beyond 10-minutes is not meant to give me much benefit - this is clearly untrue.