Sequencer: Can't follow the write-up

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
DanK

Sequencer: Can't follow the write-up

Post by DanK »

I can't make anything out of the sequencer. I don't want to stack my images in SC at this point
I want to introduce dithering on every 4th frame

Are there any simple, clean instructions on how to do this?

Here I am in the tutorial section and nothing has been posted here.

The sequencer is extremely difficult to follow.....

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sequencer: Can't follow the write-up

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

your best bet is to start with the sequence planner instead - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3620 - this is the easy to use way to get going with sequencing. Here you can set up a capture of (say) 60 light frames of 60s each. You can also set the option to dither every 200s, which will come up during the 4th frame - SharpCap will finish capturing the 4th frame, then dither, then continue capturing until the timer hits again (during the 8th frame) and so on.

Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

Hi Robin:

Looks like this is what I want. Thank you.

Dan Kahraman
DanK

Post by DanK »

Updates on Sequencing simulations and challenges encountered here:

Running into challenges doing a mock sequencing run using the options within ASCOM for camera and mount:

1) Cannot do plate solve because the V2 simulator camera doesn't have adequate resolution...limited to an array of 800 pixels by 600 pixels. Deep Sky mode gives me a plate solve error...perhaps because I want a plate solve for NGC 6946 but Deep Sky only gives M42 as the example
2) I get an error with PhD2 during the calibration as the mount "doesn't move enough" during the calibration steps to determine amount of backlash compensation during guiding

Nevertheless even this limited practice sequencing I am getting some ideas as to how sequencing is set up in Sharpcap 4.0

Last night I tried it but had problems with each plate solve running at exposures equal to my lights. Tooooo long! For some reason I had a disconnect here.

Dan Kahraman
DanK

Post by DanK »

Mock Sequencing Log

Unfortunately I can't do a mock plate solve or a mock guiding. Updating to ASCOM 6.5 on my desktops has created problems elsewhere

Let me know what you think. This is NOT a bug log. It is a tutorial/virtual practice

Dan Kahraman
Attachments
Log_2021-04-26T21_28_07-11564.log
Mock sequencing log
(567.46 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

yes, testing things that require a real view of the stars (PHD calibration, plate solving) can be challenging under simulation - it may be best to leave those bits out when testing and then try them out using the 'test' button when you get a chance at a clear sky.

What I can see from your log is that the plate solve is failing - possibly due to the limited resoution of the simulation camera, possibly if the mount position does not match the image shown by the simulation.

cheers,

Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

The mock session has given me the confidence I need and the required steps to take under actual conditions.

Dan Kahraman
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin & Others:

Excellent results last night weather was the limiting factor. Managed to capture 20 subs in my sequence of M3. I had to discard at least 5 of them due to clouds passing by and dimming the object as well as throwing PhD2 into a tizzy.

I will make my darks and flats tonight and process the limited number of subs.

An invaluable addition to Sharpcap's repertoire.

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

thanks for the report - good to hear that the sequence planner is working nicely for you. It's been good to have this discussion as the questions you have asked will help me to get the right information into the documentation when I start to write it.

cheers,

Robin