HOWTO Debayer Captured Images

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
admin
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO Debayer Captured Images

Post by admin »

Hi Kirk,

a separate program to decompress TIFF files is just too much work all the way down the line (writing it, maintaining it, documenting it, etc). An option is nice and simple and 10 minutes effort and it even has a little warning explaining that compressed TIFF files may not open in some software. Job done and back to thinking about what SharpCap 3.3 will do :)

I expect that compressed TIFF files actually use more resources in SharpCap (you have to have an uncompressed image and the compressed data, you have to do the compression, etc). Overall, unless you are using one of those full frame 35Mp cameras in RGBx16 bit mode for about 200 megabytes per frame then I think all will be fine. If you *are* using one of those cameras then please send it to me for testing :)

cheers,

Robin
1CM69

Post by 1CM69 »

admin wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 pm If you *are* using one of those cameras then please send it to me for testing :)

cheers,

Robin
:lol: :lol:
aajune

PIPP leaving a line on photo

Post by aajune »

I processed a FITS file using PIPP (all my photos give this result), and there is a line just past the 1400 point from the top of the picture to the bottom. Am I doing something wrong?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think you will need to post a screenshot so that we can see what the problem is in a bit more detail.

Cheers, Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Access to a single unprocessed FITS file and the process steps followed in PIPP would help with this.

Dave
ianm

Post by ianm »

Kirk
I had to create an account just to say thanks for working this out
I had exactly the same problem with the same camera and was tearing my hair out trying to sort it until a google search brought me your post.
Well thought out sir! :D
1CM69

Post by 1CM69 »

ianm wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:59 am Kirk
I had to create an account just to say thanks for working this out
I had exactly the same problem with the same camera and was tearing my hair out trying to sort it until a google search brought me your post.
Well thought out sir! :D
Thank you ;)
rcolm

Post by rcolm »

turfpit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am Thanks for the kind words. There will be more of these type of documents coming along as my knowledge advances.

Dave
in practice, this doesnt really work!!

PIPP requires a UNCOMPRESSED TIFF and it seems impossible to get such a file, regardless of settings.
So, this turns into a giant hassle, trying to uncompress a tif file, wich is not so easy.

SC 3.2 pr is a very nice app, but yoju need to write TiF and perhaps FITS files properly debeyered before saving to storage.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks for the comments.
in practice, this doesnt really work!!

PIPP requires a UNCOMPRESSED TIFF and it seems impossible to get such a file, regardless of settings.
So, this turns into a giant hassle, trying to uncompress a tif file, wich is not so easy.
Try this in File > Sharpcap Settings > General tab

TIFF-compress-option.jpg
TIFF-compress-option.jpg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 5450 times

yoju need to write TiF and perhaps FITS files properly debeyered before saving to storage
The debayer step for FITS files is usually performed after calibration has been completed. For your consideration, a ZWO ASI2600MC will produce a RAW16 file of size 50Mb. The debayered 32-bit FITS in APP is 300Mb. That would be a lot of disk space needed for a typical capture.

Dave
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Thanks Dave. A useful howto guide.

The confusion I have using PIPP is that there are different debayer algorithm options listed under the "Debayer Algorithm" droplist in the "Raw Image File" group, and the "Colour Debayer options" droplist in the "Colour Debayer" group of controls. The former droplist lists: Bilinear, VNG, PPG, AHG, while the latter droplist lists: Bilinear, HQ Linear and Smooth Hue.

Your example enables "Bilinear" in both droplists. But how would I use VNG, for example?

Now, only one algorithm is actually being used, so which droplist really selects it. I've tried some tests, but the Saturn sequence I used did not really answer that question.

Do you have any insights into what is going on with these selections in PIPP?

Appreciate any insight you may have ...
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.