Sky Background Calculator and Quantum Efficiency

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
Topographic

Sky Background Calculator and Quantum Efficiency

Post by Topographic »

Hi

I am using the ZWO ASI 183MC Pro, the only figure I have for QE is 84% (mono sensor). Do I enter this and then select the colour button?

Thanks

David
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sky Background Calculator and Quantum Efficiency

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, by selecting the colour option you're effectively allowing for the fact that each colour filter lets through a bit less than one third of the light available. The underlying QE is unchanged, although you do have to remember that the 84% value as a peak value at a particular wavelength and the average across the whole of the visible spectrum will be smaller.

Cheers, Robin
Topographic

Post by Topographic »

Robin

I assumed a lower than 'peak' efficiency (-10%).

thanks

Daid
stephen2615

Post by stephen2615 »

Hi Robin,

I was wondering about what impact the moon has on the sky background calculator. Surely a full moon would have a significant impact on the calculations. I have a cousin who lives in a the darkest skies area I know and I try to take advantage of this location compared to my Bortle 5 skies. The full moon completely changes what I can see so this suggest the calculator should be adjusted for the moon.

regards

Stephen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, definitely. The full moon in the sky near to the target that you are trying to image is equivalent to some pretty significant light pollution. The online calculator really only give some guidance – to do this properly it's best to use the smart histogram functionality in SharpCap to actually measure the background brightness level.

Cheers, Robin
stephen2615

Post by stephen2615 »

Hi Robin

Thanks for the response.

I will have a look at the smart histogram functionality. I have so much going on in setting up the process I almost need a checklist. I am trying to get a good spreadsheet together to give me ideal exposure times.

Regards

Stephen