Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
zerolatitude

Re: Picking the correct exposure for Deep Sky

Post by zerolatitude »

You've mentioned the 10/20 min stack would be a total integration time of 15 hours or so.

The deep image would be (6x1) + (36x0.67) for a total of 30 hours.

If that's right, yes the deep image should in theory have an SNR of 1.4 times the short subs.

The subs time calculation is for a given total integration time.

If possible, you could integrate 15 hours worth of the deep subs, and then the two sets would be more comparable.
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Ahh - thank you zerolatitude - yes, at last it is now beginning to make some sense :D

Greg
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Hi Robin

I have watched your excellent youtube video on this topic. Marvellous.

I wonder if it would be possible to extend the calculator on https://tools.sharpcap.co.uk/ to also allow the user to enter the camera info to take them all the way to the ideal sub exposure?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the idea is rather to persuade people to buy the SharpCap Pro license, which will calculate that for you ;)

cheers,

Robin
tc.astro

Post by tc.astro »

frame dynamic range vs stack dynamic range (glover).png
frame dynamic range vs stack dynamic range (glover).png (142.62 KiB) Viewed 8724 times
This chart is extremely interesting, Robin. It seems that if you are stacking then you should consider the stack dynamic range instead of the frame dynamic range. In this situation (which applies to my camera) I would be tempted to go with gain 100 because it has the same range as the other peak but has a fuller well depth. But that's wrong when stacking.

Do you have a formula for stack dynamic range? Seems vital.

Cheers
Tony
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,

yes, the SNR of the stack is one of the key things - I don't think the formula is listed in the posts at the top of this thread, but it's relatively simple :

Stack SNR = number of subs * sub FWD / stack noise (in electrons)

The stack noise is the only thing there that is complex, but the formula for that is given in post #8 of this thread.

Hope this helps,

Robin
tc.astro

Post by tc.astro »

Um, that's not quite right. I was asking about dynamic range of a stack, not SNR. Did you mean

Stack DR = number of subs * sub FWD / stack noise (in electrons)

or

Stack DR = number of subs * sub FWD / stack read noise (in electrons)

I used the second formula and the results of the sensor analysis for my camera and I did not get for any value of 'number of subs' a point where one red outline is higher than the other red outline.

If we use StackFullWell = n * FullWell, StackReadNoise = sqrt(n * ReadNoise.^2) and StackDR = log2(StackFullWell ./ StackReadNoise)

then we get

StackDR(n) = 0.5 * log2(n) + StackDR(1)

so we don't get that bump in DR from stacking. Stacking just shifts the whole curve up by 0.5 * log2(n)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so you need to use the full noise of the stack (including the shot noise of the background, which should dominate the read noise because that is how we choose the sub-exposure length).

Once you have picked a gain value, the camera read noise and sky background brightness allow you to calculate the recommended sub exposure length (t). Additionally, you get the FWD as a function of the gain value being used.

The total exposure time is T, so the number of frames captured is T/t. That means that the brightest thing you can capture in time T without loss of information to oversaturation is T/t * FWD (measured in electrons). We assume that the dimmest thing you can detect is of the order of the stack noise (in fact for a single pixel it would be a few times the stack noise, but for an extended object it may well be less than the stack noise...). Anyway, now we have the brightest and dimmest things that can be properly represented which gives us the dynamic range (being basically the SNR for a saturated signal).

Hope that's clearer,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere.

Presuming that your guiding can handle it, and you care not concerned about spoilage of individual frames (satellites, airplanes, etc.), why would you ever trade dynamic range for higher gain and reduced read noise? As long as you are swamping the read noise with the appropriate exposure length, the total noise in the final image is determined by the total integration time, no? Why would you ever give up dynamic range?

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

because although you might give away dynamic range in the individual frames, you can often win on dynamic range for the final stack because the you can take more frames in the same amount of time because you don't need such long exposures.

cheers,

Robin