Player One Neptune-m Camera not supported?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Player One Neptune-m Camera not supported?

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I am trying to use Sharpcap for my new Player One camera but even version 4 doesn't show or find it

what do I have to do to use it, or should I return it to the dealer and get a ZWO?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Player One Neptune-m Camera not supported?

Post by admin »

Hi Ben,

it should work - I don't have a Neptune to test with, but both the Mars models I have work fine.

Things to check :

Does the camera show up in Windows device manager? If not then consider the following possibilities

1) Install the drivers for the camera from https://player-one-astronomy.com/service/software/ (top download)
2) Check with a different USB cable and different USB port

If none of the above helps then contact P1 for further support - they are usually very responsive.

cheers,

Robin
Ben Cartwright SASS

Yes it shows in the device manager. I will contact P1

I got this instead of the ASI178 because I have heard a lot of people have a screendoor pattern on Halpha with the ZWO but have on heard good about the M.
GSBass

Post by GSBass »

I got him going by downloading the driver direct from player one but can confirm the driver included in the sharpcap download does not work as is for the Neptune imx464, no idea why but the direct download fixes it
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap doesn't include a Windows system level driver for the PlayerOne cameras (or any other brand of camera for that matter) - you have to install those yourself as well as installing SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
astrolang

Post by astrolang »

I have the latest Player One Neptune-M CMOS mono camera. Today after download and install the drivers I have seen that is ok in my computer. The problem is that it is not view in SharpCap version 3.2.6480.0. I have try again to resolve this problem but it's so. Do you know a solutin for this ? Yhanks at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you need SharpCap 4.0 to get support for Player1 cameras. https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Ben,

Far be it for me to question your purchase, but the Neptune-M is a Planetary camera, better suited for short exposures and high frame rates. You mentioned about using Hydrogen-alpha. Ha requires a cooled camera and long exposures. From my experience, you will be unhappy trying to do Deep-Sky with an uncooled camera. Player 1 doesn't even have cooled cameras according to their website,

Is this the camera you have?
https://player-one-astronomy.com/produc ... ra-imx178/

Brian
Ben Cartwright SASS

oopfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:07 pm Hi Ben,

Far be it for me to question your purchase, but the Neptune-M is a Planetary camera, better suited for short exposures and high frame rates. You mentioned about using Hydrogen-alpha. Ha requires a cooled camera and long exposures. From my experience, you will be unhappy trying to do Deep-Sky with an uncooled camera. Player 1 doesn't even have cooled cameras according to their website,

Is this the camera you have?
https://player-one-astronomy.com/produc ... ra-imx178/

Brian
Ha IS Hydrogen Alpha using a specialized solar filter such as the Quark I AM using high frame rates, 100-125 frames a second! at 10 miliseconds and try to keep the total exosure to about 5-10 seconds. I may want to use it on the moon or Saturn but certainly not DSO's

I think you confused the two different types of Halpha imaging, mine is solar, For DSO I have a ASI071 cooled and a ASI178 cooled both OSC
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Sorry, Ben.

You should have given more context when you posted the question. You can't expect people to read your past posts.

Brian