Atik ACIS 7.1 Mono Camera - Bug and Crash

leclercemj

Atik ACIS 7.1 Mono Camera - Bug and Crash

Post by leclercemj »

Hello,

I have just received a new camera (ATIK ACIS 7.1 Mono) and I have some problems with Sharpcap.
Before asking for help, I have updated Sharpcap to the latest version (32 bit) and the ATIK driver and software to the last version.

First problem: - SOLVED

The scale of the slider for Gain is not correct. The max gain value is 24 for this camera and it's look like the slider go up to 50 but with no access to value higher than 24. Morevover, during sensor analyses, the gain value is adjusted from 0 to 50 => no variation of the measured value after gain 24.

Second problem: - SOLVED

In order to have the full scale for the histogram I need to start the software provided by ATIK (Dusk) and adjust the pad data parameters to True. After that that the scale in Sharpcap is correct. If this parameters is false, the scale is between 0 to approx 4000. It could be better if Sharpcap can adjust automatically this parameters at the startup or can check if this parameters has the correct value. The good news is if I set the value in Dusk and stop the camera, the parameters is saved and correctly set at the next startup.
This parameters can be accessed through the Atik SDK. From the SDK manuals :
Pad Data:
The CMOS sensor we use have a 12-bit output, however, the SDK produces 16-bit images. The pad
data option controls whether the images use the upper 12 bits or the lower 12 bits. With ‘PadData =
true’ images will be produced using the upper 12 bits (I.e. all values will be in the range 0-35535, but
all values will be a multiple of 16). With ‘PadData = False’ the lower 12 bits will be used (i.e. all values
will be 0-4095).
Third problem:

It's not possible to adjust the gain when high speed mode is set to On. You can change the value but not effect is observed in the histogram or in the screen.
No problem with Gain when this parameter is set to Off.
With the provided software Dusk, it's possible to set the Gain in both power save, normal and Fast mode.

Last problem:

This one can cause the crash of the application. If you set the camera with this sequence:
Set High Speed Mode On
Set Bin to 2x2
Set Bin to 1x1 => Crash (see the end of the log file)

I have provided the log file (ZIP file). And this sequence was done:

Code: Select all

Connect the camera
Gain = 10
Gain = 0
High Speed Mode = On
Gain = 10
Gain = 0
High Speed Mode = Off
Bin = 2x2
Gain = 10
Gain = 0
Bin = 1x1
High Speed Mode = On
Bin = 2x2
Gain = 10
Gain = 0
Bin = 1x1 => Crash of Sharpcap
Thank you for your help

Eric
Attachments
Log_2020-06-10T21_31_21-14168.zip
Log obtained with Sharpcap
(384.86 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Last edited by leclercemj on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Atik ACIS 7.1 Mono Camera - Bug and Crash

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thank you for the very comprehensive report. I think I can fix the issues relating them to the gain range and the enabling of pad data mode. Would you be able to test the new version as I do not have an Atik CMOS camera here to test with?

Unfortunately the log file that you attached is missing the error information that would help me debunk the crash. That information only gets put into the bug report that you can optionally upload when a crash happens. I have just checked my upload folder and I can't find any that match your camera and version of SharpCap, so I'm guessing that you didn't upload the bug report. If you could make the issue happen again and then upload the bug report and let me know then I will be able to investigate further. When you are shown the screen offering to submit the bug report there is a drop down on the send button that allows you to send via email or submit manually if you want rather than having it automatically uploaded .

Thanks, Robin
leclercemj

Post by leclercemj »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your quick reply and your help.
Yes it's possible for me to do some testing :D .
To complete my message. When I observe the crash, I have no windows for reporting the crash.
So, I have started SharpCap with /dump option and attached the dump file to this post (zip file).

Eric
Attachments
SharpCap.zip
(647.71 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the dump file – it doesn't actually let me fix the issue sadly because it just shows that the crash is happening in the Atik core code rather than in SharpCap code.

I can pass the crash dump file onto Atik to let them have a look to see if they can spot the problem and solve it - would you be happy for me to do that?

cheers,

Robin
leclercemj

Post by leclercemj »

Hi Robin,

So it looks like Atik need to update the SDK.
OK for me if it's possible for you to sent the dump to Atik. I hope that Atik will be able to solve this problem.

Thank you again for your help.

Eric
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

Okay, thanks for that – I've passed on info to Atik - hopefully they will be able to come up with a fix.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Atik have asked if you can find the folder

C:\ProgramData\Atik\ASCOM.AtikCameras\

and zip up all the contents and sent it to me - I will pass it on to them, and hopefully the data there will let them track down the problem.

You will probably need to upload the zip file to some sort of filesharing site like dropbox as it will likely be too big for the forums. Feel free to send me the link to it via private message if you want.

thanks,

Robin
leclercemj

Post by leclercemj »

Hi Robin,

Please find attached the requested folder. The zip file is only 1kB.
Today, I have done again the sequence to have the crash and no new file are created in this folder.

Eric
Attachments
ASCOM.AtikCameras.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think they were expecting there to be some error reports in the errors subfolder, but unfortunately there was nothing there. I will see if there is an alternative approach.

Cheers, Robin
leclercemj

Post by leclercemj »

Hi,

Thank you for your help. If I need to install some software in my computer or to enter some specific command, it's possible for me.

Eric