Starlight Express not listed. Why?

Dark Matter

Starlight Express not listed. Why?

Post by Dark Matter »

Hi Robin,

When will S/Cap have the SX line of cameras in their arsenal? Why haven't they been added earlier?
Using ASCOM for the SX 25C for instance, S/Cap hangs.
regards,
Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Starlight Express not listed. Why?

Post by admin »

Starlight Express are on my list of makes to try to support, but I haven't got around to getting hold of a camera yet to work with. Vendors who reach out to me get priority treatment :)

ASCOM is a mixed blessing when it comes to supporting cameras - in theory one set of code should support everything, but it doesn't work out that way - every manufacturer interprets the ASCOM 'standard' in a different way, so that code that works fine for one manufacturer fails for another :(

cheers,

Robin
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Robin,

Terry Platt of SX may not be aware of this dilimima. Have you contacted him re this?

I have one of his cams (SXV25C) and if push comes to shove, I can ship mine over to you, so you can do what you have to do. How long would you need the camera for?

cheers,

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

thanks for the offer - I will have to think about that. Writing a new camera implementation usually takes a few weeks (depending on how much time I have available). The problem with borrowing a camera is that it's hard to then support the camera properly if there are SDK updates, bugs, etc. I do have a contact at SX UK that I could talk to to see if I could get this off the ground.

cheers,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good news - I should have a Lodestar X2 to test and develop with sometime next week. If the SDK is easy to work with then I should get some fairly rapid progress once I have the camera.

Thanks to the good folks at Starlight Express for making this possible :)

cheers,

Robin
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

That's good news Robin! I knew SX would help out. AstroArt6 has all the imaging devices in their arsenal, so with the Lodestar X2 which I also have, you should have no problems. Looking forward to the update!

Aside, should SC automatically kick-in imaging/frame grabbing when it finds a camera? I just find it hard to activate SC when it does find a camera or am I missing something?

cheers,

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jim,

I think this is what you are looking for regarding connecting to a camera on startup

http://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/2.9/#Automat ... p%20starts

cheers,

Robin
dwcrall

Post by dwcrall »

Hi, does Lodestar II work with Sharpcap? I am running Sharpcap on Windows 10 and it can not find the camera in native or ASCOM modes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SX cameras should be installed in SC 3.1 and above. You need to have installed the SX drivers for your camera first and in SC 3.1 you also need to install this additional software : http://downloads.sharpcap.co.uk/downloa ... %20PreReqs

Hopefully the camera will then appear.

cheers,

Robin