SBIG camera

Aussie Greg

SBIG camera

Post by Aussie Greg »

Hi
Does anyone know if Sharpcap will work with SBIG ST-i camera (used as guide camera)
I tried the Sharpcap 2.9 version before coughing up for the subscription and it would not see the camera at all.
Like to know it would work before subscribing?
Thanks
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Re: SBIG camera

Post by admin »

Hi,

if the camera has an ASCOM driver then install that (and the ASCOM Platform 6.4 if you haven't already) and then SharpCap should (hopefully) see and be able to use your camera. I use the word hopefully because not all ASCOM drivers are created equal and while some work nicely others do not for reasons that are hard to determine without a camera to test with.

There's no need to pay for the license just to test the camera, so test out the free version and any SBIG ASCOM driver you can find - if that works OK then you are good to go. If that doesn't work then the paid version will be just the same sadly.

Robin
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

The last post was almost 2 years ago on this topic so since then is there any chance the SBIG ST-i camera might be added to Sharpcap in the near future. SBIG does not have any ASCOM drivers that I know of. So that is not possible. I like the Polar Alignment feature in Sharpcap but I like to use my ST-i as it is already in my guide scope. Changing the camera out is not a big deal but would be nice to just click on that camera and then do a PA.
Thanks
Greg.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm not expecting to add support for SBIG cameras at all to be honest (not unless they contact me out of the blue and asked me to, and I can't see that happening). To a large degree, they are at the opposite end of the market from the cameras used by the typical SharpCap user.

Cheers, Robin
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

I've had a friend (Chris) show me a workaround to get a SBIG ST-i to work in Sharpcap. I like the polar align feature so I wanted to use my ST-i camera. You must run the SBIG camera in another program and then have it save the files as it's taking pictures. In Sharpcap use the "Folder Camera" option under Camera and then open "Browse" and then choose the folder the images are being saved to. This will project the images in Sharpcap ready to use for PA. Hope this helps anybody in the same predicament I'm in.

Greg
deepsouthernskies

Post by deepsouthernskies »

Greg,
That's a great workaround. I will also try it with my ST-i camera.
Thanks, Al