Revolution Imager R2 settings

lcbsr1

Revolution Imager R2 settings

Post by lcbsr1 »

What settings are to be used to preview in color. I used all of the video sources and only received black/white frames under PAL. Got a lot of cross lines static. The 7" monitor that the revolution camera comes with has a good image. but does not go over to sharpcap. I am using USB 2.0 Grabber.
Thanks
Larry
admin
Site Admin

Re: Revolution Imager R2 settings

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's almost certainly going to be that you need to adjust settings in the 'Video Capture Pin' dialog for your USB capture device - the settings there will need to match with the video format being created by your camera. However, all of these capture devices seem to be different and have different settings (sometimes even when they look the same on the outside!), so I'm afraid the only people who would know the answer are those who have the same video grabber device as you.

If you do find the right settings then please do post them here as that would be a useful reference for other people with the same problem.

cheers,

Robin
lcbsr1

Post by lcbsr1 »

I talked to the distributor and he gave me this info.

The chip is a ICX811 using a PAL format - 1020 x 590.

If you know of a video capture card that would match this let me know.
Larry
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Larry,

my favourite frame grabber is the genuine ezcap (http://www.ezcap.tv/) - I have one although I seem to have mislaid it at the moment and it is known to work nicely with SharpCap. What I don't know is - does it work with the imager you are using... Might be worth a web search to see if you can answer that question.

Normal resolution for PAL grabbers is 720x576, so I'm not sure how a width of 1020 would work - I expect the height will just involve a few pixels rows being ignored.

I would suggest researching this carefully before purchasing, since I do not use video cameras/frame grabbers in my astrophotography personally, so my advice is based on reports from other users and testing of the grabber devices with a DV camcorder plugged into it (as that's about the only thing I have that produces a composite video output).

cheers,

Robin
lcbsr1

Post by lcbsr1 »

The unit I have is a Sabrent. Just by chance would you have a driver or a place where I can download a driver for this chip?
Thanks
Larry
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Larry

Try this link https://www.sabrent.com/downloads/

Dave
lcbsr1

Post by lcbsr1 »

Hi
I found the problem. It was a loose connect in the video cable attached to the camera. So with that said which PAL format should be used with this camera to get the best color. I guess it will take more tries to get the color out in Sharpcap. Such as saturation and white balance maybe. Any recommendations?
Larry
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's amazing how many weird seeming problems turn out to be related to loose or dodgy cables. Been there myself with several pieces of equipment thinking they were faulty and then realizing the cable wasn't fully pushed in... :)

I'm afraid I could only suggest trial and error for finding the right format as I don't have an imager of this type (I test frame grabbers with a very old DV Camcorder). One thing I do find helpful when trying to get colour sorted out with other sorts of camera is to use a C/CS thread lens so I can see daytime images with the camera and don't have to get out the telescope and wait for a clear night to test. Failing that, a nice bright red LED in front of the sensor should give you a red glow even without a lens and then you can run through the options until you see red (literally, of course)!

If you could report back with the settings that work, it will be useful info for the next time an R2 user comes along.

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Larry

I am in the UK and use PAL_I as my video setting. For more info on this have a look at:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/d ... rldwide%3F

with more detail on PAL at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL_broadcast_systems

As Robin suggested a CCTV camera lens is useful. I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Camera-L ... SwDKtY2OMI

Cost me £8 (around $10 US), screws directly into my video camera and allows testing during the day from inside the house without needing the telescope and mount to be involved.

Dave