Can not allocate memory...

Allan_Dystrup

Can not allocate memory...

Post by Allan_Dystrup »

Hi,

I have a simple security camera (R2: Revolution Imager 2).

Connecting the R2 to my Windows-10 tablet via USB cable),
SharpCap (v. 2.9.3085) recognizes a "USB 2.0 PC Camera" ,
but when I select this camera, I get the error message :

Camera could not be started
Can not allocate memory because no size has been set

How can I correct this, and make SharpCap use the R2 on my tablet :?:

(PS:
The R2 is recognized and started correctly on my ThinkPad laptop pc,
so it's probably a problem with the SharpCap interfacing to the HP tablet).

Thanks,
Allan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can not allocate memory...

Post by admin »

Hi,

the error message you are seeing ('cannot allocate memory because no size has been set') is coming from DirectShow, which is the Microsoft technology that supports the camera drivers. If you search for the message on google you will find hundreds of people complaining about getting it in all sorts of media applications. Unfortunately they don't contain answers that are going to be much help to you :(

What I can suggest is that you look at the computer where it does work (the laptop) and check that you have exactly the same version of every piece of video related software (SharpCap, camera drivers, anything else to do with video processing) on the tablet. If you have extra video related software on the tablet, consider removing it temporarily and testing without. What happens is that any video related piece of software might be registering components that could get used by DirectShow when SharpCap tries to connect to the grabber. It might be that some component is on the laptop that makes it work and it fails on the tablet because that component is missing. Alternatively it could be a component on the tablet that gets in the way of it working.

Something else to try is to test SharpCap 3.0 beta - that has a different mechanism for talking to DirectShow grabbers and cameras that is in some ways simpler, so less to go wrong. If that works then you are in business.

Finally, if all that fails, there is the possibility of using a different frame grabber device - I have one from ezcap.tv (see another thread on this board) that I find works well.

cheers,

Robin
Allan_Dystrup

Re: Can not allocate memory...

Post by Allan_Dystrup »

Thank you for the answer Robin!

That's plenty to start me troubleshooting. :geek:
I'll let you know, if I get it fixed.

Best,
Allan