ZWO have *DISABLED* the gamma control on their cameras

admin
Site Admin

ZWO have *DISABLED* the gamma control on their cameras

Post by admin »

Hi folks - been asked why the gamma control is no longer present in 3.1 several times recently, so thought it would be worth making an announcement about it.

In a recent update to their SDK, ZWO removed the ability to control gamma on their cameras. I don't know their exact reasons, but I suspect that the thinking is that changing the gamma during capture is almost always the wrong thing to do (better to adjust post-stacking).

SharpCap 3.1 (and later versions) use this new version of the ZWO SDK, so they will not show a gamma slider for any ZWO camera - this is not a bug.

Usually people use gamma to pull out more detail on screen - this can now be achieved in SC3.1 using the ability to stretch the displayed image using the mini histogram. These stretch adjustments only affect display and don't affect the data saved to file, which is a good thing as your saved data is still truly RAW.

cheers,

Robin
jimdrever

Re: ZWO have *DISABLED* the gamma control on their cameras

Post by jimdrever »

Good to know.
I thought it was something I did.
Thanks so much for the reply

Jim
Ben Cartwright SASS

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Just heard from Sam at ZWO and it seems that the gamma is still there but to use it you have to use FIRECAPTURE, I like Sharpcap better and luckily still have v. 3.0 on my laptop.

Why would firecapture be able to use gamma but not sharpcap?

"Hi John,
Sharpcap has the preview for gammma
but you can adjust the gamma value in Firecapture "
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suspect the reason is that Firecapture has not updated to the latest ZWO SDK yet, so they are still using the old one with the gamma support. Looks like there is an even newer version now with new models supported and bug fixes, so they will have to update sometime.

See - https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/so ... ASISDK.txt for details of the changes made by ZWO

Robin