ASI1600mc banding issues (horz)

elken2004

ASI1600mc banding issues (horz)

Post by elken2004 »

Hi
I have noticed I am getting horz banding when doing DSO objects
I have USB set to auto, greyed out shows 100% is this the cause
also set capture for 300 seconds with no interval, should I set an interval of a few seconds?

I tried to upload a pic, but file size too big
cheers Clive
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI1600mc banding issues (horz)

Post by admin »

Hi Clive,

what version of SharpCap are you using? The latest 2.9 and 2.10 builds have the newest ZWO code in them, but anything older than that will have older versions of the ZWO camera libraries and that might be a cause. Also, check you have the very latest ZWO drivers as they were updated fairly recently.

ZWO did list a 'Fix 1600 hang or banding problem' change in their libraries back in July last year, but you'd need to have a really old version of SharpCap to not have got that fix yet.

If none of that helps then you might be best off asking your question over on the ZWO forums - http://zwoug.org/ - as it sounds like the sort of problem that they will have more idea about.

cheers,

Robin
elken2004

Post by elken2004 »

Hi Robin
I have identified the problem, it is on the actual sensor chip itself, did a test with light source at 30 degrees and photographed it at angle and it shows clearly the same patterns

Oh the banding is resolved by dropping the usb rate to 40, I do have a five meter high quality cable, possibly the length or not
cheers
clive.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad that you have got the problem sorted now. 5m is definitely pushing things for USB3 - I've found that anything beyond about 3.5m or so becomes unreliable at high data rates on USB3 unless you put a hub in the middle. I ended up re-arranging my observatory to put the PC right next to the pier to keep the USB cable runs short!

cheers,

Robin
elken2004

Post by elken2004 »

Hi Robin,
I am happy to say that ZWO have replaced my asi1600, so I ungraded to the asi1071, so let the games begin over.
Can't wait to give it a run.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent - I have an 071 waiting for some clear sky to point it at too - hope that your weather forecast is better than the one I've got for the next few days!

cheers,

Robin