ASI294MC Pro Cooler ?

dhess62

ASI294MC Pro Cooler ?

Post by dhess62 »

Total noob to Sharpcap (first post).
I have the ASI294MC Pro camera, I ran a sensor analysis and all looks good.

My question is, When I select to turn on the cooler, I can see the numbers changing with regards to the Cooler Power, Temperature etc., but the fan on the camera never comes on. Am I missing something? I don't want to run the chance of overheating the camera.

I typically have the camera on my ASIair Pro and once I turn on cooling the fan on the camera starts right away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI294MC Pro Cooler ?

Post by admin »

Hi Dennis,

I would suggest not using the camera with cooling in SharpCap if the fan does not come on - all of the cooled ZWO cameras I have turn the fan on automatically, so this is unexpected. I will investigate whether there is a separate 'fan' control that should be turned. Would you be prepared to test this for me if I make progress on the code?

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so I have just tested with the ZWO 071MC Cool. The fan switches on when I plug in 12V power to the camera, but switches off again when I open the camera in SharpCap. Then, when I turn on the cooler the fan comes on again.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.37 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
You can see that I don't have a separate fan control option for my camera, but the ZWO SDK has an option for turning the fan on/off and I *think* that it should appear in SharpCap's Thermal Control section if the camera supports fan on/off. Do you have the option to turn on/off the fan in the thermal controls and does it come on if you turn it on manually if it is there?

cheers,

Robin
ButterSmooth

Post by ButterSmooth »

As a related issue, my neighbor and I were running a few nights ago with an ASI533 on the finder/guider and an ASI294 as the main camera. As we switched between cameras, the non-active camera would switch the fan and cooling off. As a result, we had to wait for the 294 to reach temperature each time before imaging. Any way to keep the cooling running full time?
timh

Post by timh »

Hi,

I also have an ASI 294MC . In my experience the fan only comes on when you a) connect the camera to a 12v power supply (upon which the red light comes on) and b) when it is then also connected by USB to a computer. Thereafter the fan stays on. Sharpcap being open or not has no effect on the operation of the fan -- only the temperature setting. The fan will not come on at all if the 12v power is not connected or inadequate. I wonder if some problem with that is the cause?

Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

I have the same experience as Tim: my previous camera was a ASI294MC Pro and current it's the AS071MC Pro.
With both the fan was always on (no cooling yet ofcourse) when it was connected to power (I use a 220V adapter here at home) and connected to USB (active USB3 cable in my case). This without SharpCap running.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ButterSmooth wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 pm As a related issue, my neighbor and I were running a few nights ago with an ASI533 on the finder/guider and an ASI294 as the main camera. As we switched between cameras, the non-active camera would switch the fan and cooling off. As a result, we had to wait for the 294 to reach temperature each time before imaging. Any way to keep the cooling running full time?
Hi,

the best trick would be to run SharpCap twice, once for each camera and not close the cameras, just swap between the two versions of SharpCap. I think the ZWO SDK turns off the fan/cooling when you close down the camera, so no way for me to code around that.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Menno555 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 am I have the same experience as Tim: my previous camera was a ASI294MC Pro and current it's the AS071MC Pro.
With both the fan was always on (no cooling yet ofcourse) when it was connected to power (I use a 220V adapter here at home) and connected to USB (active USB3 cable in my case). This without SharpCap running.

Menno
Yep, that's pretty much what I expected to happen - the cooling coming on without the fan would be weird. Maybe the original poster did not have 12V power, so was seeing it try to cool but not really do anything?

cheers,

Robin
ButterSmooth

Post by ButterSmooth »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm
Hi,

the best trick would be to run SharpCap twice, once for each camera and not close the cameras, just swap between the two versions of SharpCap. I think the ZWO SDK turns off the fan/cooling when you close down the camera, so no way for me to code around that.

cheers,

Robin
That's a good idea, thanks! I'd just like to add a note that the behavior was noticed when we changed to version 4.
ADBen

Post by ADBen »

I have the same camera with same problem...the fanat first did start and then it would not anymore. Mine is plugged into the AC .The problem was the ACwire was not push in enough in the converter box, you have to push pretty hard.