Color Space, Bit Depth, and Exposure Time

Davidbr_48

Color Space, Bit Depth, and Exposure Time

Post by Davidbr_48 »

What is the proper setting for color space and bit depth for the ZWO-183 camera? I use it with an 8" Celestron Edge with Hyperstar, under so-so suburban skies (Bortle 5?).

Also: how much total exposure can I accumulate without burning out the whites, or running into problems? I like imaging faint galaxies, and would like to capture as much detail as possible. I usually shoot 15-30 second exposures, for a total exposure of 2-10 minutes (depends on the target). In the forums and other sites I see some folks are making long exposures - 30 minutes, or even multiple hours. What determines the optimum total exposure?

thanks,

David
Seattle
oopfan

Re: Color Space, Bit Depth, and Exposure Time

Post by oopfan »

Hi David,

Total Exposure (aka Total Integration Time) will never burn out whites. What will burn out whites, if you're not careful, is your Per Frame Exposure. The process of stacking frames is to "push back" the noise, not to grow highlights.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi David,

for your camera you should be using MONO16 or RAW16 (depending on whether you have the mono or colour version of the camera).

As Brian points out, the total exposure will not burn out the bright areas - that can only happen by the individual sub exposures getting longer to the point that they have burnt out areas.

thanks,

Robin
Davidbr_48

Post by Davidbr_48 »

Brian and Robin,

Thanks for clarifying this! Very helpful.

David