ZWO ASI071 problems

db48

ZWO ASI071 problems

Post by db48 »

Hi,
I tested the 2.10.3600 release with my ZWO color camera ASI071. I found two possible problems.
1) When I take a colour image, the display shows the expected picture:
Image_1.JPG
Image_1.JPG (27.97 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
BUT if I flip the image something wrong happens (I suppose it is related to the Debayer preview function). Hereafter you can see a sample of what is shown by the PC screen:
Image_2.JPG
Image_2.JPG (46.42 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
2) If I try to save the image, I get a colour image only when my colour space is set as RBG24. If I choose RAW16 (without flipping the image), I see the correct colour image on the PC screen, but if I save a snapshot I get a B/W image with clear distorsions. A sample of the saved fits image is enclosed here:
Fits_file.JPG
Fits_file.JPG (35.36 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Note that if the image is stacked no problems are observed when files are saved.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO ASI071 problems

Post by admin »

Hi,

the image you see when saving is correct -that's what a raw saved image looks like and you have to load it into software that understands RAW images and can debayer them (PIPP, DSS, etc) to see colour.

The flipped issue is a bug. The odd thing about it is that I was fairly sure that I'd previously fixed exactly the same bug for ZWO cameras! Either the fix has broken or the ASI071 doesn't work quite the same as the others.

cheers,

Robin
db48

Post by db48 »

Hi,

It may be of help to observe that the ASI071 camera shows the right colors under the following conditions:
Debayer ------ Flip
RGGB --------- none
GRGB --------- horiz
BGGR --------- both
GBRG --------- vert

All other combinations of Debayer/Flip produce wrong colors on the PC screen. As far as I know, the Debayer for ASI071 should be set at RGGB. Apparently, choosing the wrong Debayer set compensates for the error introduced when the flip is active.

No flip problems are observed with the ASI174MCC camera. I cannot say anything about other ZWO cameras.

Thank you very much for your help,

Davide
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Davide,

it looks like the correction that I make for the flip status to the bayer pattern is not needed for the 071 - following back through the code it looks like the values you are giving me all end up as RGGB once they have been through the code that corrects for the flip. I will check with ZWO that this is the case and see if it applies to any other cameras.

thanks,

Robin