Upgrading ZWO camera

Gamewarden

Upgrading ZWO camera

Post by Gamewarden »

I presently have a ZWO 224 colour camera I use with my Celestron 6 SE and .63 reducer for Nebs and galaxies. The FOV for this setup is .33 by .22 degrees. This does not allow me to plate solve and it makes stacking in SharpCap very difficult in some instances. It also makes it difficult to find objects unless my alignment is bang on.

So I am looking for a new camera to get me a bigger FOV which I think will make my life much easier. I have looked at the ZWO 533 and 294 both are cooled. I am into EAA and really don't need a cooled camera as it will limit my altitude. Is there any other cameras that will get me what I want without the cooling? The larger FOV the better but remember it is a 6 inch scope.

Thanks Mark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading ZWO camera

Post by admin »

Hi,

there are uncooled versions of the 183 and the 294 available in the planetary camera lineup on the ZWO site. Both would give you a significantly larger sensor area and can be used for EAA. Since you are presumably concerned about the depth of the camera housing to allow you to reach maximum altitude, ZWO is probably your best bet as they have the most compact bodies (short and wide camera bodies that have long and thin).

Cheers, Robin
Gamewarden

Re: Upgrading ZWO camera

Post by Gamewarden »

Thanks Robin for the suggestions