ZWO183MC GREEN....

diessos

ZWO183MC GREEN....

Post by diessos »

Hi All,
I have been seeing the same issue with my ZWO183MC that others have had. But i'm not sure if my CAMERA is bad or is this a SHARPCAP issue.

No matter what I do, the image in live stack is GREEN. I'm aware that there are more green pixels than Red and Blue but shouldn't the debayer correct this.

I'm not sure if i have to send the camera back.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO183MC GREEN....

Post by admin »

Hi,

These cameras tend to be most sensitive to green light - in a consumer camera using the same sensor, there would be built-in adjustments to boost the red and blue signal to give a reasonable white balance. The Astro camera market it seems the preferred approach to leave the signal and changed and let the end user make the adjustments.

There are two ways to do this – the camera has red and blue white balance controls which you will find in the controls on the right-hand side – if you turn both of these up then you are strengthening those colours and by picking the right values you will be able to offset the natural green colour of the image. Alternatively you could leave these well alone at their default value of 50 and make adjustments in the live stacking colour balance controls.

I would suggest that for testing, you turn off live stacking and point the camera at a white sheet of paper. Check that you can use the red and blue white balance controls on the right-hand side to get a reasonably white image – if you can then there is certainly no problem with your camera.

Cheers, Robin
diessos

Post by diessos »

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the info. I played around with those settings an got some very nice results.

Steve
Attachments
M82_2020_04_26.jpg
M82_2020_04_26.jpg (959.44 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Steve

I processed your image with Siril, free download at www.siril.org. Steps were:

Image Processing > Remove Green Noise > Click Apply
File > Save As

M82_2020_04_26-SCNR.jpg
M82_2020_04_26-SCNR.jpg (701.1 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

I use this with an Altair 183C to clear up any 'greenness'.

Dave
diessos

Post by diessos »

Thanks Dave, I will check that software out.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

There will be other ways to achieve that but I like fast & easy.

Dave