ZWO ASI533mc Bayer Pattern

Rab722

ZWO ASI533mc Bayer Pattern

Post by Rab722 »

When I load my fits files into APP it says the bayer pattern is BGGR. The website for ZWO says its RGGB. Which is it and does it matter.

Also my dark and flat files do not have the exposure and gains in the headers so an error is displayed.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ZWO ASI533mc Bayer Pattern

Post by admin »

Hi,

In theory, fits images are supposed to start in the bottom left corner, whereas camera manufacturers usually think of the pattern starting from the top left corner. That would account for a swap between RGGB and GBRG, but not the swap that you are seeing. On the other hand though, I know of different pieces of processing software that have different ideas about what the pattern is in the same fits file – for instance pixinsight and AstroArt disagree on that. The long and short of it is that it's not worth worrying about... as long as the colours come out correctly you have found the right setting.

While in theory you can use darks and flats captured in the SharpCap tools for postprocessing and other programs, in general I tend to try and do all the processing in the same place – that is if I'm going to use DSS for stacking the light frames I will let DSS do the creation of the master flatt and master dark as well. The reason for this is to ensure that all the frames are treated in exactly the same way to achieve best results. That being said, I will try to arrange for the settings info from the individual frames to make it through into the averaged dark/flat frames in a future version of SharpCap.

Cheers, Robin
Rab722

Post by Rab722 »

I investigated the Bayer pattern further for the ZWO ASI533mc. I placed red electrical tape over the end of the sensor and did a screen capture to a fits file. Then did the same with blue tape. SharpCap was displaying the proper colors. I found that in both Fitswork and Pixinsight the Debayer pattern needed to get the correct color was GRBG. The Auto setting for the Bayer/mosaic pattern in Pixinsight did not work and gave the wrong color.

Rick
Prusling

Post by Prusling »

Hi, sorry to re-awaken an old thread. I have returned to using SharpCap with an ASI533MC and I'm having issues with the Bayer pattern. I use Siril and StarTools and they are producing incorrect colours. Looking at the FITS headers it says BAYERPAT GBRG and and ROWORDER TOP-DOWN, and Force RGGB seems to make no difference. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

there is an option to control this in the 'Saving' page of the settings - this is necessary because different processing applications do not agree on how the FITS headers should be interpreted.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
You should be OK if you put the Debayer setting back to 'On' (correct colours on screen) and set the saving setting to 'Normal'.

cheers,

Robin