Asi 120mm

Johnris

Asi 120mm

Post by Johnris »

I’ve got2 questions,I new to SharpCap,am using a asi120mm. This is a 12 bit camera,but when I check color space ,
The only 2 options are 8 and 16 bit mono. I’d like to prove via a pixel map what values I’m actually getting. How do I do this? I’ve opened a fits file in
Another program,and it only shows a max of 255,an 8 bit. How do I get the full12 bit? Really confused . Thanks john
admin
Site Admin

Re: Asi 120mm

Post by admin »

Hi,

You need to choose the 16 bit mode – if you look at the data that is saved from that you will find out that the value should all be multiples of 16, which means that you are getting 12 bits of data and for padding bits. ZWO don't provide a reliable way for SharpCap to ask the true bit depth of the sensor, but they do auto pad the data up to 16 bits when you use the higher bit depth modes, so SharpCap just shows eight and 16-bit options for these cameras.

Cheers, Robin
Johnris

Post by Johnris »

Thanks,I’ll try it. Does sharp map provide a pixel map,with values pixel by pixel?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

When you can certainly open the saved fits file in a program like FitsLiberator and then see the value on each pixel if you wanted to. It's also possible to write custom software that can read the data from fits files and process it in whatever way you choose – there are lots of libraries available for different programming languages to read data from fits files.

Cheers, Robin