Problems with new ASI2600

SteveH

Re: Problems with new ASI2600

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Dave,

I'm providing USB and 12v to the camera. I tried running a seperate 12v line to the camera from a PSU rather than from my Eagle3 and it was the same. I had dew heaters off. Everything was fine when I was on my desktop to the camera (I have a permanent set up in a roll off roof) but the unreliability of the USB hubs and the sheer number of cables running to the rig was behind my move to the Eagle3.

I've since determined that I can live stack at all resolutions but I can only live stack at full resolution if I work up to it for some reason. I start at a lower resolution and live stack there before moving to highest. So by trial and error I have come come up with a work around
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

one more thing… It's probably worth going with the 64-bit version of SharpCap if you are using this camera for live stacking – the high resolution means that the amount of memory used (especially if you're using any of the advanced features like noise reduction or sharpening) is verh high.

Thanks, Robin
PetePeterson

Post by PetePeterson »

Just confirming. While ZWO literature suggests that the power supply is just for when you are cooling it doesn't work that way. It'll run uncooled video but won't function at more than 2 sec exposure. Ya need that 12VDC power supply.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Camera.PNG
Camera.PNG (141.5 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Thanks Pete. The camera has it's own dedicated 12v and USB connections. Ports 4 & 5 can output at 7A (1 & 2 are 3A) so I think it should be man enough
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Robin, I tried the 64 bit version and that wouldn't even start. Perhaps it's an OS issue? The Eagle3 spec seems to indicate I should be OK. However on starting the 64 bit version it warns me that my prcocessor doesn't support the AVX instruction set needed and suggests that the 32 bit version would be better. Could it be the processor?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (32.88 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Another thing I've noticed is that I can go straight to live stack at full resolution if I hit pause before the first frame is recorded. Once paused I hit resume and live stacking works fine. I'm beginning to think that there's a software switch being set that my processor isn't fast enough to accomplish as it's too busy if I'm running the ASI2600 at full resolution. Hitting pause allows it to 'catch up'
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

ah, OK, sadly the 64 bit version is out for you then :(. The 64 bit version of SharpCap requires some processor features that are absent in older CPUs and also in some low-powered (as in use less energy low power) CPUs. I've tried several times to get around this and haven't come up with a workable solution yet :-(

Having to run the 32 bit version with the high resolution camera is probably going to be a bit of an edgy operation – long live stacks may end up running out of memory no matter what you do :(

Selecting a slightly lower resolution or using binning will definitely reduce the load on the CPU and the memory and may help things be more reliable.

Cheers, Robin
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Robin, as I suspected. Looks liek I'll be buying a nuc PC next then
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

For information, and if anyone else has similar trouble the workaround of starting live stacking at a lower resolution before moving to full works a treat. I captured 10 minutes of 15s subs and 2 hours of 120s ones for a HDR version of M42 the other night without any trouble
rockenrock

Post by rockenrock »

admin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 pm Hi Steve,

one more thing… It's probably worth going with the 64-bit version of SharpCap if you are using this camera for live stacking – the high resolution means that the amount of memory used (especially if you're using any of the advanced features like noise reduction or sharpening) is verh high.

Thanks, Robin
Hi Robin,
I am a bit sorry I picked this post because I do not have any problem with the ASI2600. But this thread is about the ASI2600 and I have a question. I have not yet purchased the ASI2600, but close to it.
I just installed the 64bit Sharpcap 4.0.8973.0, and the software starts fine on my XPS15. My only camera, the QHY168C, connects nicely and live view works great.
--- Is SharpCap 64bit going to be the first choice version for use with the ASI2600?
The above post was back in the early days of this camera.
--- As far as you know have SharpCap and this camera been working well together, including sensor analysis and the brain?

Thanks,
Roger