Dropped frames ASI 294MC Pro

admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropped frames ASI 294MC Pro

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

I think that Don ended up getting his camera replaced, which presumably solved the issue.

One of the things that I've added to SharpCap in the last year or so (as a result of this sort of problem) is that SharpCap monitors for connection and disconnection of USB devices on the system and every time it receives a notification about a device being added or removed, it puts an entry in the log.

Since doing this, I've seen that a lot of similar problems start happening straight after a log message recording that one or more USB devices have been disconnected from the computer. Often you see reconnection events straight afterwards, but by then the camera has stopped responding.

It would be worth watching the SharpCap log to see if you see that sort of message about USB devices disconnecting at the same time that the camera goes wrong. If you do see that sort of pattern then the question comes down is it a poor physical connection that is glitching or is it that the firmware on the camera that runs the USB connection is resetting for some reason?

Cheers, Robin
Mapkos13

Post by Mapkos13 »

Good to know Robin.

His post was almost verbatim what I would have wrote. Same camera. Same laptop. Same issues. Same camera.

I might just throw it out there tonight even though there won’t be much to shoot in terms of weather and see if I can grab some logs.

As a side note I do experience the same thing in terms of the camera working well for a short time and then slowly go downhill from 2 dropped frames all the way until they are all being dropped. That seems a little strange to me as you’d think if there were USB issues it would occur from the start.

Either way I agree that it seems to be related.

I’ll post back.
donstim

Post by donstim »

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you're having the exact same issue. I ended up working with the vendor I purchased the camera through, Highpoint Scientific, to send the camera back to ZWO for repair under warranty. Highpoint Scientific handled all the shipping back and forth to China. It took about 8 weeks from the time I shipped the camera to Highpoint Scientific to the time I had it back in my hands.

The repair fixed the issue, and it's been working fine since.

Don
Mapkos13

Post by Mapkos13 »

Don thanks for the reply. Would it be okay if I cannot get this sorted out to reach back out to you for the details? Like I said, if I have to deal with the vendor and Highpoint (I purchased there as well) it might be nice to say please reference Don’s situation.

Thanks again
donstim

Post by donstim »

Sure, feel free to reference my name and RMA # (11894). Highpoint was very helpful.

No one ever identified what caused the issue or what they did to fix it.