quick questions about new SDK - bit depth & force still mode

mAnKiNd

quick questions about new SDK - bit depth & force still mode

Post by mAnKiNd »

Hi Robin, hope you're well,

With the latest update and the latest QHY SDK, can we now enable the option in Sharpcap settings to "save 10/12/14 bit images..."?

Could you please shed some light on the practical differences offered by enabling "force still mode"? I don't remember seeing this option before the SDK update, but maybe I'm wrong

Many thanks
Minos
admin
Site Admin

Re: quick questions about new SDK - bit depth & force still mode

Post by admin »

Hi Minos,

1) Save 10/12/14 bit images in FITS is only really useful for astrometry purposes (apparently some of the analysis programs used don't take nicely to the FITS file data being stretched up to the full 16 bit range). By default SharpCap does stretch images out to 16 bit to avoid a flood of 'why does my saved image look darker' questions... :)

2) Force still mode was a workaround for a user who had issues with longer exposures on the QHY183 (or was it the 163?). Anyway, the issue was resolved for them by working in 16 bit mode and forcing the camera into still mode rather than video mode. There is no real advantage to using this if your camera works properly without it.

cheers,

Robin
mAnKiNd

Post by mAnKiNd »

Gotcha, thank you for your reply :)

All the best
Minos
eseavey

Post by eseavey »

Interesting! I didn't notice this feature yet, but I like to be able to save images in the 12-bit format that comes from the camera. Will look for that feature when I get home tonight.