QHY5LII-M with Sharpcap 3.1

Necrosis

QHY5LII-M with Sharpcap 3.1

Post by Necrosis »

I really do want to like Sharpcap, but given my experiences to date with a QHY5LII-M, I am finding it difficult. On the rare occasion that I can actually acquire some stars, the only features that work for me are Polar Align and sometimes Plate Solve. Everything else just crashes the driver.

Needless to say, This is with two different PCs, running different Windows OS, with different bugs/crashes :evil: :(

Looks as though, if you are insistent on using Sharpcap, stay well clear of QHY cameras....
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY5LII-M with Sharpcap 3.1

Post by admin »

Sorry that you are having problems with the QHY5LII series cameras - As far as I am aware the best support for this range of cameras is available in the older versions of the QHY SDK used in SharpCap 2.8.

Newer versions of the QHY SDK used by newer versions of SharpCap (to support USB3 QHY cameras) have had various bugs with the older USB2 camera ranges. These are slowly being fixed by QHY - for instance the SDK in SharpCap 3.1 has an improved gain range and has fixed the 'frame jumping sideways' issues that were in the version used in SharpCap 3.0. However, there are still some problems with these cameras even in the newest QHY SDK sadly (for instance the gain range that you can access in the latest SDK is still smaller than the range you could access in SharpCap 2.8). QHY are aware of these issues and I will include an updated version of the SDK in SharpCap when they release a fix.

The issue you reported in the other thread regarding sensor analysis is a bug in SharpCap that I will fix for the next version (setting the brightness control to near minimum when initializing rather than the offset control). The most common cause of QHY cameras appearing to freeze in use is setting the 'USB Traffic' control too low - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/2.9/#QHY%20 ... 20Controls

Hope this helps,

Robin
Necrosis

Post by Necrosis »

Thanks again Robin.

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade to a USB 3 variant. :)
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
I realise this is an old thread but thought I'd post a known bug with qhy5l-ii mono cameras. That is that it will crash if set to capture exposures of 10s or multiples thereof.
Louise