Sensor Analysis for QHY5III-485C

johnpd

Sensor Analysis for QHY5III-485C

Post by johnpd »

I tried running the sensor analysis on my QHY5III-485C. I get to the point of uncovering the camera after doing the dark analysis. I uncovered the camera and get the message that the "Target image brightness achieved". If I drop the brightness, the message goes away but the Proceed button never enables. I have the camera set in a telescope and am pointing it through a window into the bright Arizona clear sky. To get the analysis to start initially, I had to set the brightness to -0.360 or so. Otherwise I get exposures too long or exposures too short. How can I resolve this?

Edit: I had the Colour Space set to 16-bit.

Thanks,
JohnD
Attachments
SharpCap_Sensor_Analysis.log
(195.15 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis for QHY5III-485C

Post by admin »

Hi John,

please can you retry with the SharpCap 4.0 beta - there have been a number of improvements to the sensor analysis in 4.0 and I think that the bug that gets you stuck here is one of them.

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/4-0-beta

Also, please don't make manual adjustments to the settings during the run - that will usually lead to incorrect results.

cheers,

Robin
dghent

Post by dghent »

I don't have a 485C but I noticed this thread

You might want to install the latest USB driver package from QHY. A recent version of it includes the following release note:
1.QHY5III485C:Fixed the RGB issue under 16 bits mode;
There's an ongoing issue with the driver installation package that might require you to do some manual work to get the driver to actually update. Something in Windows 10 changed recently that is causing this. I've written how to get around this issue here.
johnpd

Post by johnpd »

Robin,

I was able to get through the sensor analysis using 4.0 but I still had to do some manual brightness adjustments and I ended up with all zeros or NaN as values.

Code: Select all

Test#1 (with SC 4.0) (Full Resolution)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gain  e/ADU   Read    Full      Rel	Rel.   Dynamic
Value e/ADU  Noise(e) Well(e)  Gain  Gain (db)  Range (Stops)
0	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
10	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
20	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
30	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
40	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
50	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
60	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
70	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
80	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
90	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN
100	0	0	0	NaN	NaN	NaN

=======================================================================
I initially tried at full resolution and a second time at about half resolution. Same result. To get the initial "proceed", I had to adjust the brightness down to about -.423 otherwise I would get the "too bright" message. I got to the point of uncovering the camera after the dark analysis and again received the "Target image brightness achieved" message. Turned the brightness down to about -.492 to enable the "Proceed" button. I turned it back to -.423 as I would get the "taking too long" message with exposures with the dimmer brightness number (exposures exceeding 7 seconds before I killed it). I got it to finally complete with the above results. Not sure what to do at this point. You said not to make manual adjustments but it won't run unless I do.

dghent,

I had already downloaded and installed the latest driver he put out a little over a week ago. I had complained about being unable to get proper color balance with 16bit.

JohnD
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

the adjustments to the brightness basically invalidate the measurements - some parts will be taken with one brightness, some with another, leading to incorrect calculations at the end of the process (hence all the zeros). Actually, I suspect that even having the brightness set to anything that's more than a tiny bit away from zero could also lead to problems.

The correct procedure is to leave the controls as follows (QHY)

Gamma 1.00
Brightness 0.00
Contrast 0.00
White Balance R/B/G - default - probably 16, but it varies from camera to camera
USB Traffic - minimum that works reliably.

Gain/Exposure/Offset will be adjusted automatically by the analysis.

If you can't get it to start using those settings then you need to actually adjust the brightness of light falling on the sensor of the camera - if the exposure is too long then increase the brightness of illumination, if it is too short then reduce the brightness (something like a piece of white A4 paper placed over the telescope for instance).

If you get stuck after starting then please send me the SharpCap log (captured after you get stuck), but it is important that you don't make manual adjustments - I can only really learn things from the log if the only changes to the camera controls are the ones that are made by the analysis routine.

Also, SharpCap 4.0 already has analysis data for the 485C included when you install, so you should find that the Smart Histogram functionality will work for you without needing to do an analysis (you may need to delete the analysis file that contains the zero results - info on where the file is can be found here : viewtopic.php?t=1145)

Hope this helps,

Robin
johnpd

Post by johnpd »

Well shoot I will go with that. I had 4.0 7728 which did not have the sensor data for the QHY5III485C. I downloaded and installed the latest (7752) and that has it. So I am good.

Thanks,
JohnD