How to completely reset a QHY 174 / SC installation?

wunni

How to completely reset a QHY 174 / SC installation?

Post by wunni »

Hello Robin,

Since a SC beta test, my QHY174GPS camera is not working properly.
Every time I make a change in the SC settings, the USB connection crashes: The computer plays the sound "USB disconnected", all displays freeze etc. Often enough this happens even during operation. Sometimes it is sufficient to close and restart the camera in SC, sometimes SC or even the computer must be restarted.
Two possibilities:
1.) My camera is defective. I can borrow one to compare.
More likely seems to me at the moment:
2.) I am not succeeding in rebuilding a clean system.
Although I uninstalled SC and also threw everything away under Users/Roaming etc., SC still recognizes the set night mode and the SC Pro license. So I don't manage to start over really clean.
What and where do I have to uninstall and delete everything to start really cleanly?
Please do not say: 'format C:'... ;)

Which QHY driver version do you recommend?

System: HP Elitebook 8540p with SSD, 8GB RAM, Win10Pro64, latest QHY-drivers, latest SC 3.2 32bit. No improvements after driver or SC updates.
(USB3-cable original, no extension. The USB 3 ports on the computer otherwise work fine with the peripherals.)

Thanks for help!

Cheers,
Niko
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to completely reset a QHY 174 / SC installation?

Post by admin »

Hi,

it shouldn't need a reformat :-)

Delete the SharpCap folders in %APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% - that will get rid of things like capture profiles, logs, etc. Also look for folders named 'Astrosharp Limited' in these places - you can wipe them too.

Next up, a bit of registry pruning - delete the key

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AstroSharp Limited\SharpCap
That will reset all the settings to their defaults that you get from a clean install of SharpCap. Watch out if you are tempted to only delete (for instance) the 3.2 or 4.0 subfolder - if you do that and then run SharpCap it will spot if there is an older version of the settings still in place and copy the settings from that older version (this is how your settings are preserved when you upgrade)

Cheers, Robin
wunni

Post by wunni »

Hello Robin,

Thanks for your quick reply!
Now is already better than before. But sometimes the USB connection still breaks, also I have unusually many dropped frames. Tried another USB3 cable, no change.
And the camera suddenly doesn't find GPS anymore... strange...
Somewhere is still the worm in it. For comparison another camera would be very helpful. Christian offered his help. :)
I am now using the QHY driver 2008020, downloaded yesterday from QHY.
If there is something new, I will send it.

Cheers,
Niko
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

Driver: Niko, why QHY driver 2008020 ?

Only for info, on my w7-64 the driver is http://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/l ... 200203.zip
and on w10-64 https://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/ ... 200603.zip.

With the above drivers I never had a problem running SC 3.2 and 4 (SC is always 32bit).

Looking at the driver history, and trusting the change-log, since 20200203 there were only three changes regarding the QHY174GPS:

"2021.01.18
Update history:
1.Update party cameras' firmware,new firmware is compiled by Cypress 1.3.4

Update history:
1.QHY174:Increase stability in 16 bits SLAVE mode

Update history:
Update QHY174,add trigger mode support;Modify version format be data"

Maybe Robin can say a bit more, I think the changes are not essential ?, at least my w7-64 runs without them (never change a running system).

Cheers, Christian
wunni

Post by wunni »

Hi Christian,

Why this driver - because it is the latest one on the QHY site. What do I know which driver to use and which is better not. :o
Robin didn't post that. But according to his postings elsewhereo, it's not clear to him either what exactly QHY is trying out there....

By the way, QHY distinguishes between Win7 and Win10 for the drivers; I run Win10...

Absolutely right: NEVER change a running system! That was my first mistake...

Cheers,
Niko

P.S.: If the camera gets very warm (40°C), GPS fails. I'm afraid I've got a 'Monday specimen'....
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Why this driver - because it is the latest one on the QHY site.
I don't think so. Here are the drivers (see also my post above):

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=cont ... =141&id=62
By the way, QHY distinguishes between Win7 and Win10 for the drivers; I run Win10..
all the drivers there have a version for w7 as well for w10.

Chr.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm also using that 2008020 driver - seems to work Ok for me.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (38.87 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
I do find that this camera is sensitive to USB port - USB3 ports on an addin card rather than the motherboard have caused problems in the past.

What happens if you try a USB2 cable? Is it stable then? I had to replace the USB PCB on my camera because USB3 stopped working entirely.

Robin