Problems with QHY268C in native mode

didiflei

Re: Problems with QHY268C in native mode

Post by didiflei »

Hi Robin,

thank you for the quick reply. I will test this tomorrow.

many greetings
didi
didiflei

Post by didiflei »

Hi Robin,

i have tested both sharcap versions (3.2.6482 and 4.0.7572) with QHY268C and latest SDK.

Results 3.2.6482:
Live View Mode:
- double time at first exposure and change of exposure, otherwise everything ok

Still Mode:
-program crash at first exposure

Results 4.0.7572:
Live View Mode
- double time at first exposure and change of exposure and
- double time when changing a control e.g. Gain or Offset

Still Mode:
- approx. 1,5 sec. delay at first exposure
- program crash when changing exposure

i will continue to use 3.2.6482 as it works best for me.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the feedback – sorry that we aren't really getting anywhere with this just yet.

I can see one crash report from 4.0 that has been uploaded this afternoon that might match your testing – were you using live stacking as part of the testing? Did you submit a report?

I'm wondering if perhaps the particular model of camera doesn't like being sent and exposure change request while it's in the middle of taking a frame (the 294 is fine with this...).

Thanks, Robin
didiflei

Post by didiflei »

Hi robin,

I did not use live stacking during the test.

many greetings
didi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have uploaded a new version of SharpCap 4.0 today that may help with the 268C

Relevant changes:

*) When in still mode (either full still mode or live mode with 'force still mode' active), SharpCap will not send control changes to the camera while a frame is being captured. All control changes made are remembered and then sent just before the next frame is started. Note that control changes affecting cooler settings (target temperature, manual cooler power) are not affected by this.

*) Better handling of cancellation of still frames when the 'Cancel' button is clicked or the camera is shut down or mode/resolution/binning is changed while in still mode.

Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

I will give this a try.

Quick question on the Beta version though: I have so far avoided using V4, as I use SharpCap in a "productive environment" (public observatory) where betas with all their side effects are not ideal. Has V4 reached a maturity status now that would allow me to use it there?

Thanks
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it depends on your usage - if you want to use features that were in 3.2 then it should be stable, although I would advise doing a good daytime test before using for real. If you are planning on using the new features in 4.0 then there is still more work to do to get them to be properly robust.

Two things to remember...

1) If you install 4.0 it leaves 3.2 on your machine, so you can switch back in seconds. When you first run 4.0 it copies the settings from 3.2 - after that they are separate (apart from saved capture profiles), so you are unlikely to break your 3.2 by trying 4.0

2) Each beta version of 4.0 has a 'drop dead date' usually between 1 and 2 months from the date it was released - this is to keep people upgrading to the latest version rather than getting stuck on some random pre-release version and then reporting bugs in it (which used to happen...)

cheers,

Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

that's great that V4 and V3.2 are independent, I will give this a try.

THX
Stefan
Calamity_Jane

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Hi:

This is a question rather than a reply. Having read the various threads about the QHY 286C, I have become a little bit alarmed, and wonder if I should pay the extra to get the same chip in a ZWO ASI2600MC?

Have these problems been resolved yet?

Thanks,

Jane. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jane,

I put a new version of the QHY SDK into SharpCap just recently, but haven't heard any feedback since on whether this has improved (or made worse) any of these problems. So, as far as I know the issues are still outstanding with the latest updates to SharpCap/ QHY SDK, sorry.

cheers,

Robin