Problems with QHY268C in native mode

vichman

Problems with QHY268C in native mode

Post by vichman »

Hello all,

since a few days I have a new QHY268C camera.
This is my first QHY DSO camera (so far I have only experience with ZWO cameras), and unfortunately I struggle when trying to use it in SharpCap.

Connecting to the camera in native mode works fine, but unfortunately I cannot use the camera to take any images.
There is no image shown in the preview (the counter stays at "0"), and I cannot use "capture" to take any images.
See screenshot below:
QHY SC1.jpg
QHY SC1.jpg (173.69 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Only when I toggle the "Amp Noise Reduction" switch, then the camera starts taking images and behaves normally.
It does not matter whether the switch is ON or OFF, I only need to toggle it once.
See screenshot:
QHY SC2.jpg
QHY SC2.jpg (176.13 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Is this something also experienced by others?
It this a bug in SharpCap or in QHY's driver?
Is there something I am doing wrong?

I use SharpCap 3.2.6480 and QHY's driver that came with the All-In-One driver "QHYCCD_Win_AllInOne.21.01.06.13".

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with QHY268C in native mode

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

not something I've heard of before :(

Perhaps can put together an automatic workaround by setting the amp noise reduction then saving a capture profile with that changed setting in and then making that profile the default profile for the camera. That will cause the changed setting to be automatically loaded each time the cameras opened, hopefully working around the problem without you needing to do it manually. You can set the default profile by using the 'Manage...' button.

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Capture%20Profiles

Cheers, Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

that's weird.
I made a fresh install of all QHY drivers and also of SharpCap, the problem persists.
Then I did as you suggested and created a profile, also no success. Even worse, now SharpCap tells me that "One or more settings of this camera fails to load correctly" when connecting the camera. When I load the profile manually, then there is no error message, but then the camera resets and is not taking any images any longer, until I toggle "Amp Noise Reduction" again...
See screenshot of the error, and of the profile used.
QHY SC3.jpg
QHY SC3.jpg (194.14 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
QHY SC4.jpg
QHY SC4.jpg (171.79 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
BTW, I have a similar problem when using the ASCOM driver, here I need to toggle the "Output Format", though.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

the SharpCap log should probably give you some info about which setting failed to load, but that's not likely to help fix this :(

Actually, it might be helpful to have a log file captured after you have made the camera work by setting the Amp noise option - SharpCap already logs changes to that setting, so we might see something that is interesting.

I know that there are some other users on here with the 268C - I wonder if any of them have the same issue - haven't heard it mentioned.

cheers,

Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

will do.
Stupid question: Will SharpCap create a log file automatically, or do I have to toggle a switch somewhere?
Where will it be saved to?

Thanks,
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

logs are automatically created - you can view them and copy the text by going to the Help men and choosing 'Show Log'. If you want to find the files, go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\SharpCap\logs

cheers,

Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

today I managed to have another try, unfortunately with the same result as before.
Here the logfile:
Log_2021-02-23T21_33_53-1216.log
(64.74 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
21:33:53 Starting SharpCap
21:34:11 Connect camera => error message that not all settings could be loaded => same odd behavior with no preview (counter stuck at 0)
21:34:55 Try to capture a single frame => no reaction of camera
21:35:06 Try to push stop button, no reaction of SharpCap
21:35:28 Toggle the Amp Noise Switch => camera shows preview (counter running), but still no reaction of stop button, cannot access "start capture"
21:36:13 Disconnect camera

I tried several times. Toggling the amp noise switch starts the preview, changing settings like the image size stops it again.

I hope you can make something out of it.

Thanks in advance
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

I think what I'm going to do is try putting some code in the re-send the current value of the amp noise control to the SDK when the camera is starting. This may be enough to act as a workaround. If that doesn't work then I will try sending a different value and then sending the original value again (basically like you changing the value of the control and then putting it back). These experiments will appear in the next updates of SharpCap 4.0 beta (you can find the link to the beta downloads on the main download page).

Cheers, Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hi Robin,

after your post earlier this evening I gave it another try, this time with the latest Beta QHY driver (released Feb 20th).
Updating to the very latest QHY driver fixed the issue! :D

So, thanks a lot, but for now it looks as if there is no need for a workaround in 4.0 Beta. :roll:

BTW, I noticed that the Amp Noise Reduction switch does not exist in 4.0, see screenshots.

QHY SC2.jpg
QHY SC2.jpg (176.13 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
QHY SC5.jpg
QHY SC5.jpg (180.74 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Thanks,
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

oops – I had forgotten that I had fixed a bug where that control was appearing regardless of whether the camera supported it. That was probably the cause of the problem all along :( Sorry for missing that, but glad to hear that your camera is working now :)

cheers,

Robin