In QHY268c panic mode...

DiligentSkies

In QHY268c panic mode...

Post by DiligentSkies »

Hello Robin,

I am in full fledge panic mode.

Since applying the Force Stills Mode and the sequence crash per the usually protect memory over write error(An error report was sent).

I have been experiencing a very unnerving issue.

Whenever I connect to the QHY268c, the temperature reported Increases even while power is being applied to the cooler.

Even when I deselect auto, and set a target temperature, the current temperature STATUS values increases while showing there is an applied power value increase that is being applied.

None of it makes sense.

tem start Capture.PNG
tem start Capture.PNG (53.47 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
and
temp end Capture.PNG
temp end Capture.PNG (73.35 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Both of these screen captures were initiated back to back.
In the interim the camera reported an increase in temperature while cooling power was being applied.

I have done a number of things.

Including power down everything, allowing the sensor to come back to ambient temperatures. Reconnecting the power to the camera (with the default temperature target of 0C profile to run, only to have SharpCap startup and connect to the camera AND only report the current temperature increasing even as power to the cooler increases.

More troubling is running the QHYCCD Ezcap software and experiencing the same set of issues of power being reported as being applied and temperatures reported back as increasing with time.

I basically have NO CONFIDENCE in any of the reported values.

I don't know EVEN KNOW if the sensor data is suck in some type of stupid mode and cooling power is being applied to send the cooler into extreme ranges of cooling off of incorrect sensor readings.

Sincerely,
Mark
Last edited by DiligentSkies on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
DiligentSkies

Re: In QHY268c panic mode...

Post by DiligentSkies »

At this point I wish I never tried the Force Still Mode.

I was attempting to see if by applying the Force Still Mode would address the issue of the QHY268c looping through several loops of exposure duration count downs before it started to settle down and start providing actionable subs.

To restate. Since applying the FORCE STILL MODE the QHY268c camera has displaying increasing temperatures even when the target temperature is well below the ambient even through power was reported to being applied.

I have done everything including a complete wipe out of the relevant software and re-installs drivers and software, hoping this would address the issue.

Sincerely,
Mark
Last edited by DiligentSkies on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiligentSkies

Post by DiligentSkies »

Hello Robin,
I am hoping beyond all hopes.
That there is some type of latent CMOS memory on the QHY268c that resolves itself with a complete twenty-four power down cycle because everything at this point. Points towards since applying the Force Stills Mode of having corrupted Bios on the QHY268c.

Sincerely,
Mark
Last edited by DiligentSkies on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
DiligentSkies

Post by DiligentSkies »

or corrupted some set point that is being maintained in the registry and/or some configuration data file.
I am at a lost.

To recap, I started out with a very stable platform in ASCOM and SharpCap for the QHY268c camera, only to decide to enable the 'Force Stills Mode, to see if that solved the exposure loop issues. Since then I have experienced a cooling issue. An issue that appears to show no matter what below ambient temperature target is set, the reported values show sensor temperatures increasing while cooling power is being applied.

Sincerely,
Mark
DiligentSkies

Post by DiligentSkies »

Hello Robin,
I have opened up 'Report an issue' ticket with QHYCDD.

Rest assure, "I do not believe this to be a problem caused by SharpCap."

Anyway, I am under warranty.
QHYCDD appears to have a very straight forward and generous warranty to stand behind their products.

So everything is waiting on QHYCCD responding back.

I wrote my experiences here not to blame. But only to report a problem.

I read some where on this forum that you have been recently working with QHYCDD trying to address a protected memory writing error when 'Force Still Mode' is enabled.

If this issue/problem is related to QHYCCD efforts to fix the protected memory problem and in doing so created an unintended outcome.
How is that SharpCap's fault.

In this world of technology becoming ever more complex and all controlled by software from OEM vendors to third parties, "Then feedback is a must."

All I know, my camera was operating correctly, but the moment I enabled 'Force Still Mode.
SharpCap crashed and upon, restarting SharpCap, "I immediately noticed that the cooler was applying power but instead of the temperatures dropping. The reported temperature were increasing."

I believe the cooler is working, it is just that the temperatures are being read/reported incorrectly.

Since this temperature is the measure by which the cooler determines whether a target temperature is reached? (a prospect that will never be reached) Power is going to be continuously applied. Thus sending the sensor into uncharted cooling regions(like minus 40-60 or more below ambient).
If there is causality in play here (who the heck knows these days, finger pointing not withstanding solves nothing). If an area of protected memory was over written, maybe the result was to corrupt the temperature readout function or a set point of data physically on the memory of the camera. Who knows any more?"
That is, "How complex the software world we live in has become?"

At this point, all I am saying is beware about enabling 'Forced Still Mode.

I am hoping QHYCCD can help me resolve the issue by performing a factory reset of the camera's on its on board memory and/or flashing the eprom of the camera before it is determined I need to ship the camera out for repair.

Again Robin I stress, "How on this green Earth is this SharpCap's fault. Not even remotely within my thinking.

What is is in my thinking is, "Is how well QHYCCD stands behind their warranty.

"At this point this is the only issue I will be happy to report back on!!!!"

Sincerely,
Mark
DiligentSkies

Post by DiligentSkies »

Reporting a Problem.png
Reporting a Problem.png (71.2 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Please understanding, I am attempting to provide real world feedback on a very distressing issue.

Since
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your 268C - I agree that it's unlikely that the 'Force Still Mode' option was the cause - this just makes SharpCap talk to the camera as a still camera (rather than a video camera), which is what many other pieces of software do already (including the QHY ASCOM Driver).

The issue that was reported elsewhere was that SharpCap was reading image data from the overscan area of the chip - this is perfectly legitimate (although not desirable as it gives a black border top left of the image).

Responses from QHY may be delayed at the moment due to the Chinese New Year - this is the same for most China based manufacturers right now - they are starting to come back after the break but probably have catching up to do.

thanks,

Robin