QHY183C and smart histogram

Chris_h

QHY183C and smart histogram

Post by Chris_h »

So I just got a QHY183c for those nights when I just want to be lazy. I ran the Smart Histogram, and everything went smoothly. However, when I tried to measure optimum exposure, something was off. My ZWO183MM would go through this process very quickly - with normal exposure times. However the QHY starts and 100 seconds before going straight to 1000(!!!) seconds! The next one is 500 seconds. I gave up after that. What is going on here?! Like I said, the ZWO never did anything crazy. Is it a QHY problem? I have heard their drivers are a bit meh :?
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY183C and smart histogram

Post by admin »

Hi,

some cameras send through a small number of duff frames after you change the exposure or some other setting – sometimes these are frames with the previous setting, sometimes they are frames that have been cut short due to the change in the settings. I wonder if this is happening with the qhy camera – SharpCap sees that the frame is too dark, requests an increased exposure time and then gets back two or more frames fairly quickly that don't have the proper increased exposure time in the and so they are still dark and then the whole thing repeats. There is some protection against this in the measurement code, but perhaps the qhy camera is getting past those guards in the software.

The first thing I can think of to try is putting the camera into forced still mode (there's a control on the right-hand side) – this tends to reduce problems of this sort with qhy cameras.

Cheers, Robin
Chris_h

Re: QHY183C and smart histogram

Post by Chris_h »

Thank you Robin. I will give it another go when the clouds go away in 3 months time :roll: :D