Version 3.2.6051 & 6054 ROI not working properly

Zenzanon

Version 3.2.6051 & 6054 ROI not working properly

Post by Zenzanon »

Hi,
I've been playing with these newer version recently and noticed that the ROI feature no longer works. Specifically, if you move the ROI selection box around, nothing changes, the same ROI is constantly downloaded. Granted, in earlier versions it was sporadic at best. When you moved up, the actual ROI moved down, in another resolution, you'd get just the opposite behavior, or it would move in one direction, but further movement of the ROI box would no longer yield any further changes in actual ROI. Now, all you can do is choose a resolution, but moving the ROI box around no longer does anything.

I'm using a 183M

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Version 3.2.6051 & 6054 ROI not working properly

Post by admin »

Hi there,

Thanks for the bug report – this one is my bug and I have it fixed now and it will be in the next update.

Cheers, Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

this should be fixed in the very latest version.

Robin
Zenzanon

Post by Zenzanon »

Hi Robin,
Just tried the ROI in the very latest version. Well, it's back to the original behavior, but still somewhat useless. You can change the resolution and then move the ROI box around, but in some resolutions, the although the box moves around, what it 'see's' is limited for example the top left quarter of the sensor. Although you can move the 'small' ROI box all over the sensor, it seems to be limited to only small section of the sensor. For example, when you move it the far right, it will only update as far right as the center of the sensor if you're sort of following what I mean. Equally, if you move it down to the bottom, the actual image returned will be no further down than than the center horizontal of the sensor. Essentially, what you see with the ROI selection box is not what you get, something is limiting it. I suspect, but I may be wrong, that the ROI is highly restrained to the 'quarters' of the sensor by the driver. Just a hunch. The only way to get a subject in a tiny ROI box is to physically move the mount with the ASCOM driver to put the subject in the ROI box (not very easy as you can imagine).

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

What camera model and other settings are you using? I've just tested this with the latest code and a qhy 174M and it all seems to be fine. I can move the ROI selection area into each corner of the frame and I definitely see the part of the image that would be in that corner of the frame if I was still at full resolution. For good measure I tested eight and 16-bit modes and 2 x 2 binning and couldn't find any problems.

Cheers, Robin
Zenzanon

Post by Zenzanon »

I'm using a 183m. I tried 1X1 and 2X2, always with the same behavior.
skaven

Post by skaven »

Hi, I'm seeing this behavior as well in 3.2.6433.0 with a Skryis 132C camera.

I can select a lower resolution (e.g. 640x480) and the ROI selection window appears. But when I move the red ROI box around, the actual captured image doesn't change at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the original issue here was with QHY camers, which is now fixed. Unfortunately I no longer have any Celestron/Imaging Source cameras that support ROI to test with, so I'm not in a position to be able to fix ROI related bugs with those cameras, sorry.

Robin