QHY183c TEC problems with Sharpcap 3.2

Lulubell

Re: QHY183c TEC problems with Sharpcap 3.2

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
I'm having same problem with my qhy183m with the set point greyed out and temp control only available via the power control. I have the latest SharpCap Pro and I tried copying the qhyccd.dll from the ascom folder to the sharpcap one (as mentioned above) but hasn't made any difference. TEC control works fine with APT but I want to use SharpCap! Are there any workarounds? I've previously used a qhy minicam5s with SharpCap and the thermal controls worked fine with the last full SharpCap Pro release.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

If the target temperature slider is greyed out and unavailable then it most likely means that need to click the 'auto' button next to the power slider. That will put the call up into automatic mode and allow you to set the target temperature instead of adjusting the cooler power manually.

Hope this helps, Robin
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
I'll try that next time but I also had problems acquiring frames with the native driver. However, I found the Ascom driver did work ok and with the temp control.
Louise
GregL

Post by GregL »

Just an update on this... I have recently acquired a QHY183M camera to use with narrowband and solar. At first I thought TEC was handled better than the 183c, but a number of nights working with it show the same temperature control issues. I have downloaded the indicated components from QHY, did a general update when I got the filter wheel. Running ascom 6.4sp1 on Win10 using an AMD processor. I use the native QHY driver as ascom is connecting another camera to PHD2. Sometimes the temperature starts up at my prior setpoint -10C, sometimes it shows -100C and the power control is pegged. But oddly, sometimes the temperature is driven down but sometimes it acts as though the TEC was turned off. I don't see the same issues with SGP, but then I am still familiarizing myself with it -- Sharpcap is the principle tool I use. When it gives me trouble I manually adjust the power until the TEC settles down roughly where I would like it. Does make me wonder if something is not initializing right or overlaps another data area due to the consistency of the setpoint change. Does any of this get logged someplace?

greg latiak
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

If you turn on the extra logging by ticking the box near the bottom of the first page of the SharpCap settings, then pretty much all communication between SharpCap and the camera is logged. Of course the trouble is with doing that is that it's then sometimes hard to see the wood for the trees as you have so much information in the log hard to spot the bits that are interesting and useful.

Cheers, Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks, Robin.

I will do that the next time the skies clear. And yes, low level trace files are a bear to work with sometimes...

greg
GregL

Post by GregL »

Robin,

Finally a clear night. Noticed something very interesting. Typically, when I focus I put my QHY183c into bin2 state and kick the gain way up. Temp holding nicely. Now that I am focused and pointing at my target I put bin and gain back to where I want it -- bin1 and gain around 12. That is when the temperature resets to -100, and control is lost. Kicking it in and out of the 'auto' temp state brings it back under control. I have nt changed the logging levels as yet,

greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Next time you get a chance, test to see if it's the change of gain or the change of binning that seems to have the effect. Perhaps change the gain first then wait a bit then change the binning. I suspect it isn't going to be the gain, but it's well worth checking these things out.

Cheers, Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Robin,

Do all these factors get logged if I kick in the more detailed reporting? Will definitely do that at the next available chance (currently projected to be Friday...).

greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

If you turn on the extra logging then pretty much all the communication between SharpCap and the camera gets logged along with a whole load of other stuff.

Cheers, Robin