Orion StarShoot All-In-One - no joy with SharpCap

sharpmed

Orion StarShoot All-In-One - no joy with SharpCap

Post by sharpmed »

I could get a signal with Orion's AstroCap - but only shades of color or static in
the viewing window. This was true in the field or if I tried to test indoors.
So on a forum someone suggested trying SharpCap. But SharpCap seems to not
be detecting the StarShoot (driver that comes with is ASCOM) at all.
Can anyone tell me if these should be compatible and if I'm doing
something wrong? Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion StarShoot All-In-One - no joy with SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi,

not a camera I have personal experience of, but do check that you've installed the ASCOM platform first and then the Orion ASCOM driver. I know others have made it work.

cheers,

Robin
sharpmed

Post by sharpmed »

There were three files available to me from Orion: ASCOM Platform 6.1.exe, AllInOneASCOMSetupv11.zip, AllInOneDrivers.zip.
I must have gotten some driver installed because the AstroCap software gets signal from the camera at least to show dark/light
and some colors if nothing discernable yet. This morning I'm tried a fresh installation of the Platform 6.1. But it still doesn't see it.
But thanks for letting me know others have gotten this combo to work. Perhaps someone who has this combo could comment
on versions of drivers, platform, operating system (I'm Win 10) and order of installation.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

try going to this website and grabbing the download from the right-hand side – https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm

The Ascom platform 6.1 is a really old version and that may well be causing the problem as SharpCap expects at least Ascom platform 6.4 (if you are using the latest versions of SharpCap).

Cheers,

Robin
sharpmed

Post by sharpmed »

I got 6.5 Ascom platform loaded and ran the latest 3.2 SharpCap - but still the camera doesn't show up.
I can only see some input from the camera with AstroCap that comes with the bundle so far.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

so, a couple more things to try

1) uninstall and then reinstall the Orion driver now (after installing ASCOM 6.5) to see if that helps
2) If you have the 64 bit version of SharpCap then try the 32 bit version instead.

If still no luck, then check that other ASCOM cameras are showing in SharpCap (you should see 'Camera V2 Simulator' at the very least which is a test camera) - this checks that SharpCap is able to talk to ASCOM ok.

cheers,

Robin