Gstar EX3 Camera

dennisjames1

Gstar EX3 Camera

Post by dennisjames1 »

Hi Everyone

I have one of these, it's a one shot colour camera, Toupsky make them. Sharpcarp pro uses the Ascom drivers for it just fine, live view is just fine, colour etc. However when i caputure AVI or a snapshot image is very very dark hard to see. I would have assumed live view should be similar to capture.

I have another mini guide camera from ZWO and it works a treat, any ideas what's going on with the Gstar, it must be how SharpCap Pro handles the camera drivers.

In it's native Toupsky software the camera works fine,what you see live is captured the same, but i would like to use SharpCarp Pro with it.

cheers

Dennis
admin
Site Admin

Re: Gstar EX3 Camera

Post by admin »

Hi Dennis,

I suspect what is happening is that the camera is not reporting the maximum pixel value that it is capable of correctly – perhaps it's a 12 bit camera which really has a maximum pixel value of 4095 but it may be reporting 65535 as that is an easy default for people writing Ascom drivers.

If you could share a snapshot capture file and the capture settings file that save next to it that would help to maybe confirm this diagnosis. The best format to capture into would be FITS.

Thanks, Robin
dennisjames1

Post by dennisjames1 »

Hi Robin

Thank you for the quick response, i am new to SharpCap Pro and i discovered in the display histogram stretch three tabs on the right and the bottom one "save image exactly as shown" did the trick for me.same as live view.

Is that the correct way to save?

Love the software by the way, i'm in Queensland,Australia and almost impossible to see the octans here, the polar align feature worked a treat.

cheers

Dennis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you use the save functionality in the mini histogram it will certainly look exactly as it does on the screen, but you will be potentially losing information – the images that come off of your camera are probably 12 bit whereas what get saved on the screen is 8 bit.

Normally you should save single images using the snapshot button in the toolbar or by capturing multiple images using the start capture button.

Glad to hear that the polar alignment is working well for you :-)

Cheers, Robin
LoriNagle

Post by LoriNagle »

Hello....to me it would appear that a fascinating camera. Not where I need to go as of now, however intriguing.
Heaps of little pixels in a little territory so you can in any case utilize moderately forceful central decrease. The SNR1 for the sensor isn't incredible, however not all that terrible.

To me the net impact is that it is such a traverse camera. It ought to be sensibly acceptable at NRTV and sensibly great at more ordinary AP-type use. Furthermore, if the product will permit it you ought to have the option to do entirely great NRTV and AP simultaneously