Celestron 127 slt settings

teaandjayc

Celestron 127 slt settings

Post by teaandjayc »

Hello,
I’m new to astrophotopgraphy. I’m struggling to get the settings for a good image in my telescope ising sharpcap v.3.2. Can someone assist? Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Celestron 127 slt settings

Post by admin »

Hi,

what camera are you using and what are you trying to take photographs of?

thanks,

Robin
teaandjayc

Post by teaandjayc »

Hello Robin,
I have a svbony sv105 camera. Currently, I’m only able to see Jupiter, Saturn and the moon. There are a lot of trees blocking my view.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

for those targets, a good starting point is an exposure of 31.3ms (1/32s) which should get you a 30fps frame rate. You can then adjust the gain to try to get the target to a reasonable brightness (not over exposed, not too dark). If you run out of gain adjustment then move the exposure further up/down. Leave all the other controls at the default values to begin with - mostly you should not need to adjust them and if you do, only after gain and exposure are correct.

Starting with the moon is a good idea as it is hard to miss. Once you have it in view, adjust the gain/exposure to get it a reasonable brightness, then you can adjust the focus until you see the surface clearly.

Robin
teaandjayc

Post by teaandjayc »

Thanks Robin! I will try this. I also noticed that even the moon shows in black and white. Will this setting allow it to show color?
teaandjayc

Post by teaandjayc »

I may need to reset my settings and start over. How do I reset?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you just want to reset the camera settings to their defaults once then hold down the <CTRL> key while you open the camera. If you want to stop SharpCap from remembering the settings from the previous session, that can be deselected in the first page of the settings window.

The moon typically looks pretty much grey, and I would have thought that your camera will always be running in colour mode – point it to something like a distant tree to make sure that you see colour properly. Another option is just to hold a brightly coloured piece of paper in front of telescope - it won't be in focus, but you should see the colour.

Cheers, Robin