New SharpCap user

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Real14

New SharpCap user

Post by Real14 »

Hi,

Greetings from Mexico somewhere in the middle of nowhere around 22°North and 101° West :D

Just got some ZWO ASI cameras and starting to use SharpCap and so I have already a question.

Is there a Bulls eye, Grid etc. or something so one can align the camera exactly to the RA or DEC axis of the mount ?

Thanks and regards Rainer
regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
22° North 101° West
admin
Site Admin

Re: New SharpCap user

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you connect your mount to the computer and set up SharpCap to talk to the mount via ASCOM (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/2.9/#Mount%20Control) and also have installed a plate solver like AstroTortilla, ANSVR or ASPS, then you get a 'GPS' type button in the mount controls (actually this button is shown in the documentation above, but not discussed). When you press that button, SharpCap will

* capture a frame
* send it to the plate solver to work out exactly where the telescope is pointing
* sync the ASCOM mount to the plate solved position
* send a GOTO command to the ASCOM mount to go back to the original RA/Dec co-ordinates

The effect of this is that if you GOTO an object (say M45) and the mount is a bit off target, once SharpCap has worked through the sequence above the target object should be pretty much centered in the field of view.

hope this helps,

Robin
Real14

Re: New SharpCap user

Post by Real14 »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the Information.

Perhaps I was not clear explaining what I wanted. I was just looking for a line or somthing projected onto the Image so I can adjust the camera orthogonality to my DEC or RA axis.

I later found a small Icon with some lines on the GUI.

Thanks a lot again as the info also helped me to know about another feature.
regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
22° North 101° West