Gamma setting gone

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
melvin

Gamma setting gone

Post by melvin »

Hi I have the latest version of Sharpcap but I cannot find the Gamma setting anywhere. When I take videos of the Sun I have different settings for the surface and the proms, but the settings for Gamma seem to have disappeared, I have looked in all of the tabs down the right side of the screen, am I missing it somewhere. Please advise my.
Cheers
Melvin Atkins
turfpit

Re: Gamma setting gone

Post by turfpit »

Melvin

Which camera are you using?

Dave
melvin

Post by melvin »

Hi my camera is a ZWoASI 120mm.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

ZWO have removed it in the latest SDK. Theres nothing Robin can do unless ZWO decide to put it back.
melvin

Post by melvin »

Hi it was there until I downloaded the latest version of Sharpcap.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ben Cartwright SASS

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

This really upsets me as I use gamma to get total control of the surface of the sun. I use speed, gain, gamma and gamma makes the sun pop

I did some captures today in 3.1 so will process and see if I can get the same impact from 3.1 "raw" stuff vs. 3.0

I luckily didn't delete 3.0 and put in back on my desktop to use for solar. For DSO I never used gamma.

check out my shots of the sun at https://solarhead.shutterfly.com/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been told by other solar imagers too that they like to use Gamma. I'm afraid I don't understand the reason behind it being removed.

I do believe however that the gamma function offered is not a built in capability of the imaging sensors being used (for instance the Sony sensors used in the majority of CMOS cameras these days). That means that it is being added in software somewhere - whether that is on a processor running in the camera or in the PC itself. That in turn means that you should be able to get the same result with an appropriate non-linear stretch in post-processing (in theory...)

cheers,

Robin