Creating a master flat for solar.

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
melvin

Creating a master flat for solar.

Post by melvin »

I am building a library of avi. videos and noticed that when I am about to create an out of focus flat vid there is a tab in the drop down menu that says ‘create flat’ but when I go into it it asks me questions that I cannot find any reference to. I have looked I live stacking but there is no explanation for it. Is it only for nighttime pics? What is the difference between taking a vid out of focus and creating on from the system? I’m sure you have an idea of where I’m coming from, where can I see a written explanation? can you help please.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating a master flat for solar.

Post by admin »

Hi,

are you referring to capturing a flat using this tool?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.19 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
It's designed to help you set the exposure correctly (not overexposed anywhere, but keeping a fairly high exposure level). It will capture a specified number of flat frames, average them for you and create a master flat file.

It will also them automatically start using this master flat file - correcting every frame received from the camera using it. SharpCap is capable of doing this at full USB3 imaging speeds on a fast PC, so you can capture videos that are fully flat-frame corrected.

Please let me know what other questions you have about this.

cheers,

Robin
melvin

Post by melvin »

Thanks for the reply Robin, I am not the best at understanding things computer wise so is there anywhere that explains things, and yes that is the page I am referring to.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not much too it except selecting how many frames to average together (maybe 10 is a good start). Work through the steps in order and let SharpCap do most of the work. You can read a bit more about the overall flat correction feature here : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... correction

Robin
melvin

Post by melvin »

Thanks for that Robin, I have just read the pages linked and will try it as you say. Cheers