SharpCap says I upgraded to Pro version and it won't save captures now

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Shannon

SharpCap says I upgraded to Pro version and it won't save captures now

Post by Shannon »

I bought a ZWO ASI cam last year which came with SharpCap. Everything has been great, it had all the functions and features I needed.

About a month or two ago, it began to say there was an upgrade which "fixed bugs with (fill in the blank) cameras". I finally let it upgrade today and I wish I hadn't. It is telling me I am now using SharpCap Pro trial and it won't save captures now. I am dead in the water until I can get this fixed.

SharpCap is awesome software, but I do not need Pro at this time. How can I fix this? I find it more than irritating this upgrade was to a paid version when it said it was only for a bug fix. Any help would be appreciated.
Shannon

Re: SharpCap says I upgraded to Pro version and it won't save captures now

Post by Shannon »

I found the original version of SharpCap I had, the "upgrade" was a separate install.

This felt extremely shady to me. SharpCap made it look like a regular bug fix upgrade and gave me ZERO notice I was about to go to a yearly subscription plan. While I do not mind a one time payment for great software, I refuse to pay a yearly fee. Plus, SharpCap has left a terrible impression with the way they went about this. Had it been clearly spelled out when I hit the "upgrade now" button, I would not feel so irritated. I'll be looking for other capture options now.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap says I upgraded to Pro version and it won't save captures now

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry to hear that you've got mixed up over the SharpCap Pro trial option inside SharpCap - in order to get to the position you were in (can't save anything), you should have had to have clicked on the 'Try XXXX without a license' button in a big message like this
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.13 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
As you can see that pretty clearly explains the choice you are making to try out the feature without a licens and that you won't be able to save if you choose to do that. If you decided that you didn't want to use the feature then you can just close the message with the 'X' button (top right) and you will continue using the free version of SharpCap.

If you managed to get into the trial mode (not being able to save) without seeing a message like the one above then please let me know the steps you took, since that shouldn't happen and would be a bug.

By the way, in response to your other point about the annual license payment, there are now options for both 5 year and permanent licenses available.

cheers,

Robin