Easiest Plate solve program for non-computer guy to set up?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
chongo228

Easiest Plate solve program for non-computer guy to set up?

Post by chongo228 »

About to take the plunge into plate solving and I have read a lot of bad things about AstroTortilla. Many people having issues getting it running and keeping it running. I also read in a forum that it isn't being supported anymore.

For a non computer guy that gets frustrated with drivers and program setup that is more than clicking the install button, what is the easiest of the 3 SharpCap supports? Astrotorilla, Ansvr, or All Sky Plate Solver? The less install time and possible errors/problems the better for me.
cuivenion

Re: Easiest Plate solve program for non-computer guy to set up?

Post by cuivenion »

I found All Sky Plate Solver quite easy to set up up. Once you've installed the catalogues its pretty much automated from Sharpcap's side.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem with AstroTortilla is that you have to know which indices to install (or install the lot) and then make cryptic changes to the configuration otherwise it just doesn't work. SharpCap knows about the cryptic config requirements, so if you get it installed with the right indices then it should just work. The same applies for ASPS or AnSvr - they all use the same solving engine behind the scenes and SharpCap talks directly to that and *does not* use the UI or settings of ASPS/AnSvr/AstroTortilla.

cheers,

Robin
robrj

Post by robrj »

I can verify that Astrotortila just has to be installed. It works fine with my setup and Sharpcap.