Satellite trails

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Ronald

Satellite trails

Post by Ronald »

How long does it take to eliminate satellite trails does sharpcap eliminate them right away? Or is it a certain number of frames? Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Satellite trails

Post by admin »

Hi Ronald,

right now you have to use 'sigma clipped' stacking (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Stacking%20Tab) and then after about the first 10 frames SharpCap will exclude trails from any new frames. If the trails are in the first 10 frames then unfortunately there is nothing SharpCap can do :(

With these becoming more of a problem, I want to add a new feature to eliminate them much more effectively whenever they happen. I've done some planning, and I now want to collect test data to use to help design the code to remove the trails. What I will be looking for is :

1) Raw (unstacked, unprocessed) FITS frames showing one or more satellite trails

2) Raw (unstacked, unprocessed) FITS frames from the same session (same target, camera settings) not showing any satellite trails.

This will let me test my code to check it can accurately find the trails in the type 1 frames and doesn't falsely spot any in the type 2 frames.

If you (or anyone else reading this) have frames that might be useful for testing, please share them with me. They will most likely be too large to upload here, but you could upload them to dropbox or google drive and then share a link (I will try to arrange an easier to use way to share frames with me in the next few days)...

cheers,

Robin